Prop or Engine Damage? Rope in prop

keysersoce

Cadet
Hello,

Unbeknownst to me I had my stern tie-up rope caught in my prop when I tried to start my boat. It started ok in neutral but then I would shift in gear and the engine would cut off. On the third or fourth time the engine finally stayed on and kept in gear. We hadn’t realized it was the rope until we got back to the dock. We saw the rope had sheared off when we got back to the dock to tie-up. Note, I took it really slow on way back to dock as I wasn’t sure at the time what the problem was. I checked the prop back (while in water) at the dock and no rope was found.

Do you think any damage was done? And do you think I might have a rope cutter installed? Everything I’ve read makes it seem like most people need a knife to cut a rope loose if one gets caught in the prop. I’m especially surprised it sheared the rope off since I barely went over idle on way home.

I have a 2005 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI I/O Bravo.

Thanks!

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had something similar happen when pulling up to a dock where people had left lines tied below the water line and gotten wrapped up in the prop... Same thing, idle speed and stalled right out. It could damage the coupler or prop hub or even the drive. While everything could very well be fine, I would be checking the propeller hub if applicable.... maybe changing the gear lube as well to see if anything broke apart. Then just listen/feel for any weird noise or vibrations on the next outing. At least that's what I did.

Edit: I'll also add, I have a stainless prop. If it was an aluminum it could have more easily damaged a blade I suppose...

keysersoce

Cadet
I had something similar happen when pulling up to a dock where people had left lines tied below the water line and gotten wrapped up in the prop... Same thing, idle speed and stalled right out. It could damage the coupler or prop hub or even the drive. While everything could very well be fine, I would be checking the propeller hub if applicable.... maybe changing the gear lube as well to see if anything broke apart. Then just listen/feel for any weird noise or vibrations on the next outing. At least that's what I did.

Edit: I'll also add, I have a stainless prop. If it was an aluminum it could have more easily damaged a blade I suppose...
Thanks for the quick reply! I have a stainless prop as well.

Did you end up having any damage? Also, did the rope snap off by itself or did you need to use a knife to cut it off?

I don’t have a trailer for the boat so hoping to diagnose while still in water before having to pay to take it put of water. I read I could try to get the boat up on plane and if it’s having trouble it’s likely a damaged hub. I’ll try that close to my slip so I can limp back in if needed. I’ll listen for weird noise and vibration as you mention.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the quick reply! I have a stainless prop as well.

Did you end up having any damage? Also, did the rope snap off by itself or did you need to use a knife to cut it off?

I don’t have a trailer for the boat so hoping to diagnose while still in water before having to pay to take it put of water. I read I could try to get the boat up on plane and if it’s having trouble it’s likely a damaged hub. I’ll try that close to my slip so I can limp back in if needed. I’ll listen for weird noise and vibration as you mention.
When it happened we cut the rope off the piling and just tugged it from around the prop by pulling the end and it came right off... when it stalled we didn't restart after the second time though. We tried once to shift to the opposite direction thinking it may unwrap itself... no luck. That was 15 years ago... no, didn't seem to cause an issue as the running gear all remained the same all those years. Felt violent though.