Prop & Motor RPM question on Mercury 1150

sportyinc

Seaman
I have a 1972 1150 Mercury mounted on a 1972 Glastron V176.
When I bought the boat, I installed a tach and the motor (with a 21 pitch prop) was running at 3800 rpm's WOT but 38 MPH. Not good.
I changed to a 19" Pitch and the RPM's went up to 4000 with MPH of 34. Still not good. Range is 4800 to 5200 RPM's.
I changed to a 15" S.S. Prop and now get 4500 rpm's @WOT @ 34 MPH.

Anyone have an opinion about whether to leave it as is (close enough) or scour for a 13" pitch S.S. prop?
It runs really well but I'm not sure 4500 rpm is close enough to 4800 or that the low RPM's isn't an indication of a problem somewhere else.
Compression is good and equal, new plugs, new plug wires, and fresh fuel. The only thing I haven't checked is timing.

Thanks

Last edited:

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Prop & Motor RPM question on Mercury 1150

Sure looks like something is out of whack. You should be running at more than 4000rpm with a 19" pitch and certainly more than 4500 with a 15" pitch.

What tach do you have installed and how is it set?

WHat is the gear ratio of the lower unit?

sportyinc

Seaman

Thanks for reaffirming my suspicions that something is not right. I don't want to go any lower since the 15" Mercury S.S. Vengeance is a great prop.
The tach is a brand new Teleflex Sahara.
The lower unit is 2:1.
The most puzzling to me is the fact that it idles great, starts right up, especially when warm and is really smooth at WOT.
I pushed the throttle all the way forward and the carb butterflies are all the way open.
The only thing I can think of is the timing. I need to verify it is 21 degrees BTDC.
I just checked with Mercury Props and they recommend a 19" pitch.

arsenalpsu

Petty Officer 1st Class

Assuming you have compression, spark on all 6, and the correct diameter prop, check your trim, I bet you have it too much in= pushes the bow down and slows the boat. A LOT of people over look how important trim is in performance and top end speed. Case in point, cursing at 3/4 WOT, 4200 RPM i can get 35mph to 40 mph depending on how she's trimmed. Or at WOT i can go from 5000 to 5800. Read this... http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/trimtilt899.htm

ALSO- the in-lines like to spin and hate to be lugged, prom them for the high range of WOT, and make sure when pulling a full load or toys you drop 2 pitch sizes. I have a 19p and a 17p depending on what I?m doing (this is on a 17? starcraft 1700) Each drop in pitch is about a 200rpm increase at WOT

sportyinc

Seaman

Thanks for the input. I missed that point of the trim. I will try trimming it out a hole or two and see what happens.
Does anyone know a relatively easy way to test the fuel for oil content? Just to eliminate that possibility.

Thanks