Prop help

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1995 18" Chris Craft with a 4.3 Cobra. On my initial test ride, the fastest I could get out of boat was 35MPH (GPS) and 4000 RPM with 6 average size people and about 12 gallons of gas. The service manual says that optimum RPM is 4200-4600. I have a SS Ballistic (346032) prop that is14 3/4 x 17. The prop has had some damage but has been reworked so it may be off a little.
What should I do to increase RPM's and speed?

alldodge

Staff member
I just bought a 1995 18" Chris Craft with a 4.3 Cobra. On my initial test ride, the fastest I could get out of boat was 35MPH (GPS) and 4000 RPM with 6 average size people and about 12 gallons of gas. The service manual says that optimum RPM is 4200-4600. I have a SS Ballistic (346032) prop that is14 3/4 x 17. The prop has had some damage but has been reworked so it may be off a little.
What should I do to increase RPM's and speed?

If and note the IF, If your going to run the boat most of the time loaded as you did on this trip (6 persons) and other gear, then you can go to a 15 pitch prop which will bring your rpm up about 400 rpm.

If your going to run lighter then you need to test it with that load

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good point, I have only had boat out once during initial test ride and those were the results. Boat in the shop right now for other issues. I guess I will have to spend more time on water under varying conditions and uses to determine what's next. This may end up being a good cruising prop but may need to get another prop for skiers and towables.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
4 blade for skiers and towables....... yes they make that much of a difference... thrust increase out of the hole... if the "other issues" in shop are engine related once that's resolved and your operating at peak efficiency, toss your initial finding out the window, everything can change....prop choice varies with engine health, some boaters have engines not performing at peak due to correctible issues, they put less prop ( less pitch) to get within the recommended rpm ranges running with what they have.. here's an example... as to me...had boat for 2 years.. tuned up. seemed to need 15 p prop to get me 4800 with the 3.0 merc I have... another tune up this spring, noted was loosing belts to often and too loose... noted the alternator arm bracket for belt tension was cracked, put new arm on, tightened it up...belt not slipping, electrical improvement..... yesterday took boat out on Seneca Lake NYS fishing, first time out for me....me and son, had 15 p 4 blade Solas.. was putting around mostly, got on plane, put the hammer down.....tac= near 5000 huh? Im going faster than I ever have in my 20ft cuddy....with a little 3.0... odd, same prop I could only hit 32 with wind at my back downhill at 4800, near 5000 Im doing 34... GPS speed......that's never happened before..... so I got home and tossed on the (back up) Michigan Match 4 blade 15x16P... guessing that's going to bring me down to recommended range and might even hit 35...:) so with that said, so many variables go into prop selection, it's all relative to engine health, load.. and other things experts here can tell u about, learn as you go.... good luck

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
We need your numbers from a lightly loaded wot run. Rpm and GPS speed.
Typically a 18 footer with a 4.3 would run close to 50 with a 19" prop A 17 would be slower and very likely over rev with a light load.
I think a compression check will help establish the condition.Note the location and condition go the plugs.

johnyboat

Recruit
Ive got a 19 ft checkmate with a 1991 200 black max have had some head and Exhaust work done .I have a 25 pitch trophy 4 blade the boat will pull 6000 + rpm,s at 68 on GPS and still have throttle left. should I go up on my pitch ,
.or go to a higher pitch 3 blade

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Welcome
It gets very confusing when you highjack a thread.
There is a New thread tab at the top of the prop forum.
​ We need to know your lightly loaded actual wot rpm ,not 6000+, and gps speed.
A 200 hp is rated for 5600 rpm.Is your black Max a high performance motor?
Do you know if the mods have a different wot figure?
It does appear you need more prop but what kind is beyond my expertise.
You may need a different style as well as pitch.
You may want to go to the Scream and Fly site.
Speeds like yours can be killers.Be sure to wear a pfd and a kill lanyard.

Last edited: