Prop Help!!

mwinchel

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone quick question. I have a merc 1150 1971 model i am trying to changed the prop. It does not seem to want to come off. I have taken the nut washer ect off the front of the splines and still nothing. Is there a trick to this thing or is it stuck on there bad beings in how it is 38 years old. Let me know i have hit it with a rubber hammer pretty hard and still nothing. And help would be great.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Prop Help!!

Ayuh,....

The Odds are that the propshaft Wasn't Greased when the prop was put on,.....
I've seen them come off with a mild Beating, a severe Beating, or even Total destruction of the prop.....
Worst Case is cutting it apart/ off with a Grinder....

mwinchel

Seaman Apprentice

I am wanting to go to a 17p 3 blade from the stock 2 blade 19p. Will i gain or lose some rpm if i switch. I am wanting to know if it will be worth me tearing up the old prop to get it off. There will be know turning back so i want the 3 blade to be better what do you think.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

By Dropping the Pitch, you Gain rpms.....

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

the three blade will give better performance overall and maybe pick up a few rpms due to the less pitch.

mwinchel

Seaman Apprentice

Update on the prop. I rigged up a puller of some sort this weekend and still could not get this think to budge. Do you think that no grease could make it this hard to get off. I have hit it with a hammer pretty good and tried a little heat also. Let me know what y'all think i am about to get the cutting wheel out and cut it off to make room for my 3 blade broke. Let me know thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Do you think that no grease could make it this hard to get off.

Ayuh,...... It's no doubt Corroded to the propshaft......

mwinchel

Seaman Apprentice

If i cut this off with a zis wheel should it come off. Even thought it is corroded on the splines and everything should be fine right? Have you ever heard of one being on this good let me know thanks,

mwinchel

Seaman Apprentice

Well i started to cut it off last night. Boy is this a chore. I got the outer shell with the blades on it cut off and the rubber sleeve. Tonight i am going to take my time and try not to get in to the splines and cut the last metal sleeve off that is stuck to the splines. does anyone have any advice?