Prop for McCulloch 14?

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Is this normal wear and tear or is this prop about shot? I'm thinking the rubber part (hub?) is not supposed to come out like this. So am I stuck fixing this thing or can I buy a new one? I'm thinking another used one is going to be in similar condition due to rubber deteriorating with age.

Attachments

• McCulloch Prop 01.jpg
    McCulloch Prop 01.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 2
  • McCulloch Prop 03.jpg
    McCulloch Prop 03.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2
  • McCulloch Prop 04.jpg
    McCulloch Prop 04.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2
  • McCulloch Prop 05.jpg
    McCulloch Prop 05.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 2
  • McCulloch Prop 06.jpg
    McCulloch Prop 06.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Michigan wheel made most of the Scott/McCulloch props. You might be able to get a hub for it. Call your local prop shop.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Was down at the local shop last week. They weren't much help. It's a small lake though and a small marina. Where is Michigan Wheel located?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Was down at the local shop last week. They weren't much help. It's a small lake though and a small marina. Where is Michigan Wheel located?
Michigan wheel is a huge company. Look them up. And you have to find a place that specializes in props.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your local machine shop can make that part.------Brass / delrin / nylon / aluminum, etc.----Then use a brass shear pin and go fishing.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Willy, I'm really in a tough spot here it seems. I've got two motors I'm working on and both have deteriorated rubber and I can't find a new prop for either. I'm thinking bolting on a used prop is not going to be more than a temporary fix. The rubber just gets old and brittle.

I bought a prop that was supposed to be a direct fit for my Rude Fastwin 18 and the damned thing rubs. So I'm going to have to try to remachine it using common tools to make it work without rubbing. I'm about ready to scrap all 3 of my motors and buy something newer. A damned shame because I got these motors running well, but without props my time and money has been wasted.

Willyclay

Captain
I'm about ready to scrap all 3 of my motors and buy something newer.
I have 3 in my shop you can have but they are old also and probably have the same "prop-problem" which is to be expected for that many years. FYI, I drilled and tapped one of my bad-hub props with SS screws. It was my go-slow, gotta-get-back, spare prop. Good luck!

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Very cool. Thanks for the tip too. I'm about to do something similar, so nice to hear you've had some success. Sorry my fault for muddling two threads into one, but are you saying you have Mcculloch props or ones for the Fastwin? Maybe you could check the condition for me? I'd gladly pay the shipping if I can get at least a little use before they grenade.

Willyclay

Captain
Sorry but I misspoke! I have 3 old outboards and their associated props. No McCullouch. Have 1968 V4 Johnson 100HP big gearcase ,electric-shift. Also have 1973 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman and 1985 Johnson 25HP with thru-hub exhaust prop. I do not believe any of the props will work for your motors but you are certainly welcome to them; motors, props, controls. Let me know.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
That sounds right. Thanks After 2 days on the lake though my urethane repair seems to be holding up. I figured if it was going fail it would do it first WOT blast.