Prop Depth?

armysfcret

Seaman Apprentice
OOps, guess this should be in General Outboard Questions.<br /><br />Just some questions from a new 'toon driver. <br /><br />What is the correct depth that should be set for the prop on a pontoon. It seems mine is way too deep. It is my understanding that the cavitation plate should be just under the surface of the water. Believe mine is about five inches or more below the surface with no load in the boat. <br /><br />Wouldn't it be feasible to have the bottom of the prop just above the bottom of the pontoons. This would also help to protect the prop from hitting in shallow water as the pontoons would hit first. <br /><br />What am I missing here?

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Prop Depth?

The cavitation plate should be about 1 inch below the water when you're planing.

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

On a fiberglass boat you mount the drive so that the anti ventilation plate is level with the bottom of the boat.But on a pontoon and other work barges the anti ventilation plate should be lower to make sure the prop has a good grip on the water for turning.Your engine may be a little low but I wouldn't worry about it.Or just raise a couple notches.

armysfcret

Seaman Apprentice

Hadn't thought about the turning factor. 'Toons are certainly different animals when it comes to setup as opposed to "real" boats. Thanks for the feedback.<br /><br />Planing? I wish!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Where does you cavitation plate sit in relation to the logs when out of the water? Should even with the bottom of the logs. This is generally speaking, of course. Every one I've had has been that way, though. The cavitation plate while just sitting in the water will be about 5 or more inches below the water, do to the weight of the boat. When you are moving, the plate will be higher in the water, do to the angle of the boat from front to back changing and leveling out. I think you are real close. This is where mine is:<br /><br />
1359.jpg

riverebel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 22 ft Fisher pontoon with a 60 hp Mariner.The cavitation plate sits about 9 in.below the waterline on the toons at the back.The motor sits all the way down in top hole. Does this seem too low?

widowmaker666

Recruit

How will it effect my control (speed/steering) if the anti-ventilation plate is 1" above the bottom of the hull vs. 0-1" below the bottom of the hull? I am running a 15' fiber glass with a 50 HP Mercury.