prop clearance

tommy c

Cadet
Hi Guy's,I own a 24' searay with a 260 merc,the other day i noticed when i free spin the prop the clearance at the top between the cavation plate ( i think that's what it called) is pretty close.I can barely put my index finger between.I don't know what size of prop it is.Is it suppose to be a close tolarance or might i have to big of a prop?.It was on it when i baught it.btw this is a great forum for new boaters.Thanks,Tom

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: prop clearance

TommyC,<br /><br /> It sounds good thats about the same clearance I have with my Alpha drive with a 13.75in Dia x 21p mirage ss prop. I'v been spinning it for years without any problem, I also use a 14in dia x 19p aluminum, Is this just a curious observation on your part, or are you having a problem?. If you want to be sure you have the correct prop, one way to tell is when wide open is the motor making it up to the top of its rpm range, Example 4600to 4800 rpm, does the boat plane out with to much effort and time? does the prop blow out and lose its bite? if you answer yes yes and no to the above 3 questions then you have the correct prop.

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bet you have a 16'x 16' elephant ear propeller on it. What is the pitch? What ever, its fine.

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...one way to tell is when wide open is the motor making it up to the top of its rpm range, Example 4600to 4800 rpm, does the boat plane out with to much effort and time? does the prop blow out and lose its bite? if you answer yes yes and no to the above 3 questions then you have the correct prop... :confused: <br />
I'm guessing that in your second point, that you mean to say "without too much effort" right :confused:

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

As I remember it "close" only counts with grenades, skunks and horseshoes. Your prop won't hit anything but rocks.

tommy c

Cadet

Thanks for the reply guy's,and northern yes it was just an observation i made,so i should be fine,i have'nt had her out yet to see if any or all of your suggestions work.looking forward to spring.Thanks guy's for your help. Tom