prop choice's

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm currently running a 1985 skeeter f-80, 15'-5" long. 1992 85hp yamaha raised up to the max. 2.75" between cavitation plate and transom. Stainless prop # 48 72500a4 21p, WOT 5100-5200rpms at 52mph. I'm picking up a hydrolic superplate with 5" setback. Do you think this prop will be good enough? I'm looking for top speed, and better handling. It can get hairy at WOT now. It does have a little porposing, but can be trimmed out.

Ron G

Commander
Re: prop choice's

With the hydrolic jackplate you maybe able to raise it a little more,sounds like your doing real good so far.the good thing about those you can raise them while your running to fine tune it.give it a try,is it chine walking yet?

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, its got some chine walk to it, but not bad. I pick-up the plate today, it wasn't what I thought it was. It's made by Superplate, 10" offset. Best thing was it was free, I just had to pull it and remount his motor. I was thinking of adding smart tabs, not sure though with my transom. Its raked back about 30 degrees. Thanx

Ron G

Commander

Nothing like free,put it on and try it,i think you'll be able to run it a little higher for sure,lets see what dale or kenny thinks.but the 21 should be okay if we can get your rpms up a little with raising the motor.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is a temp gauge sufficient enough? or should I add a water pressure gauge also? Thanx

Ron G

Commander

You definatly need a water preassure gauge!when you start raising the motor and doing test runs thats one of the main things you need to watch.your going to have a sweet running machine that move on down the lake.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

ladano, Ron's giving some great advise. He's been there and is doing it now. The overheat warning system on your motor tells you what already happened, a temp gauge tells you what's going on now and a pressure gauge tells you whats going to happen.<br /><br />One tells you the motor already overheated, the other tells you the motor is hot now and the other tells you the motor is going to be hot or not.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanx, I'm going to try and mount it today. I've been to busy on a offshore trip Sat, and was to worn out on Sun. No tuna but the mai-mai was all over.

walleyehed

Admiral

The equivalent lift would be about 1" high for every 5-6" back. so the equivalent of even with the transom would be about 2" high of boat bottom. I believe I would start at 3" above bottom, av plate parallel to bottom, but 3" higher....see what Dhadley says...he may want you to go higher...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You're at 2 3/4" without the plate and it has 10" of offest. (That's a lot on a small boat, BTW) So to be "where we were" you'll need to be 4 3/4" up -- in theory.<br /><br />On that small of a boat and that much set start with the motor all the way down on the plate and then slowly bump it up as you get used to it. <br /><br />Watch the water pressure!!

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanx, I have a temp gauge right now, but will be adding a water press also.