Progress ?????

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Back again guys. 1985 searay twin 165's w/4brl carbs. Well heres the outcome. Had carb rebuilt and still didn't start. Smell lots of fuel even when cranking at idle on throttle control. For sometime we thought we were having electrical problems. Instead of spending alot of money and knowing Starboard motor runs great I took everything electronic (cap, rotor, ignitor, coil, wires, and anything else that would give spark or make start) and took it off port motor (won't start) and put it on starboard side. FIRED RIGHT UP. So, with all that was good on starboard I put it on Port. I get great spark all around now but still to much fuel. When I looked in carb to see about fuel it was splashing and hitting my face about 2 feet above motor. I have 110 to 120 PSI on both motor for compression so thats ok. Someone at marina said they smelled fuel from accross the lot. I checked fuel pressure and there I have about 4.5 PSI so thats good also. When I took off carb there was a huge puddle of fuel laying in intake.

My thought correct me if I am wrong: Bad carb rebuild?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Progress ?????

Instead of spending alot of money and knowing Starboard motor runs great I took everything electronic (cap, rotor, ignitor, coil, wires, and anything else that would give spark or make start) and took it off port motor (won't start) and put it on starboard side. FIRED RIGHT UP.

Did you change the spark plugs too?

While it may be the carb rebuild, did you check the clear hose between the fuel pump and the carb to see if there was any gas in it?

Rebuilding a carb has about a 50/50 chance of working or not

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also put new plugs in. It doesn't look as if there if fuel in clear hose or not. Can you tell me outcome with and without fuel in line? And like I said in first post. "I was about 2 feet over carb and was getting splashed with fuel" That obviously cannot be good. Why would there be so much fuel in intake?

Thanks for responses.

Last edited:

Don S

Do a compression test. There shouldn't be any pressure in the intake that would blow fuel back out of the engine.

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did a compression test on cylinders, (both motors). I am gettin between 110 and 120 PSI. If it dumping to much fuel wouldn't it just sit there and not fire? Thank for your help Don

Don S

IF it's blowing fuel out of the carb, you either have wires crossed, or an intake valve is open. Since you took every thing off the bad engine and put on the good engine and it ran. That leads me to believe you have a valve problem that is blowing back through the carb.
Maybe a recheck of the compression and maybe a leakdown test.

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did a compression test 2 times on that motor. What is a leakdown test? When doing compression test wouldn't the PSI be different if valve was stuck open? And, are you saying that I shouldn't take carb back to rebuild shop? LOL;)

Last edited:

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First, thank you Don and everyone for all your help. I read up on leakdown test. I have to do it with warmed-up motor. Can't get it running so I am hoping it is something different. And I was thinking about the wiring backwards. What could be backwards with only 2 wires were pulled off the carb and they are defined with different style plugs? Sorry for all the ?'s but at this point I feel like I am missing something simple if its not the carb now.

Bondo

Staff member

I read up on leakdown test. I have to do it with warmed-up motor. Can't get it running so I am hoping it is something different.

Ayuh,... So do it on a Cold motor,... You're looking for mechanical Problems...

Btw,... 110/ 120psi for Compression is a very Tired, dying motor...
It's about at the bottom of marginally acceptable...

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Starboard motor is at the same PSI and it runs great and very strong. Even at 110 to 120 psi the motor would still at least start. I have to figure out why I am not burning fuel when plugs getting spark.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

A few years back there was a long running thread about not getting one of their two motors/engines running after rebuilds.After a week and lots of checking/trying they remembered that the one that would not start was counter rotating.They attached the plug wires for the proper firing order and it started right up.

Just thinking out loud.

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is definately a good thought. Motor wasn't rebuilt though. Alls I did after it stalled was changed averything and put plug wires right back where they were. Thank You though. Going to try something that carb shop told me to do. I will update later.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

You did put new base gaskets on when you replaced the carb? :)
rob

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A few years back there was a long running thread about not getting one of their two motors/engines running after rebuilds.After a week and lots of checking/trying they remembered that the one that would not start was counter rotating.They attached the plug wires for the proper firing order and it started right up.

Just thinking out loud.

Well I just returned from boat. The port motor is spinning counter rotation. NOT GOOD. Thats why it doesnt start and why it spitting gas and not sucking gas. West marine sold me a counter rotation starter for my boat 3 weeks ago.. I will just have to laugh if it starts seeing I missed out on Labor day weekend..:mad::D

Last edited: