Procraft 1780V Leak Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

twelvexs

Recruit
Hello. I have recently gotten a '89 Procraft 1780V and have now noticed that I have a small leak that fills up the bilge area to the tune of ~2 gal./hr. Looking towards the back of the boat, it doesn't seem to come from the transom area, but from the left of it close to where the electronics enter the boat. It only occurs when it's not under way. If I back the boat into the water, it doesn't start leaking until about 1/3 of the boat is in the water. I'm not ruling out the rear livewell either as maybe a hose or fitting there could be bad. After doing some tapping on the hull with a screwdriver end and doing a lengthy visual inspection I simply can't find anyplace in the hull that is soft, weak, or has a hole/crack in the gelcoat. I can post pictures later if anyone could help or has seen this before? Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided!

Bushrider

Cadet
Re: Procraft 1780V Leak Problem

I just registered to ask the same question about the same boat! Crazy coincidence. Sorry to see this hasn't been answered. This summer I bought a 1989 1780 V which starts filling as soon as it gets into the water. I pump the bilge about every 15-20 minutes and it runs for up to a full minute, so taking on a lot of water.
My live wells also start to fill as soon as the boat goes in, so water is coming up where it shouldn't. This summer I replaced the through-hull fitting for the live-well drain, hoping that would be the problem, but it didn't change anything.
Now I wonder if the boat was badly winterized at some point, and froze with water still in it, bursting intake valves or hoses.
My next problem is getting to the inside of the hull. I haven't seen a way to get the decks off. Am I correct in thinking they are screwed down and then the carpeting has been glued over the screws?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
David

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I own an 87. 1780V but never had leak, but where you need to check is.

1. Live well pump housing.
2. Thru hull fittings for the font live well (there is a velcro fastened cover inside the drivers side front storage bin to get to the fittings.
3. Hose connects for the cooler drain in the front passenger side compartment.
4. Just an obvious hole or crack in the hull. ( could be under the trailer pads making it hard to see while on the trailer.

Hope this helps.

Ridez HD

Recruit

I have a 1988 procraft leaking the same way and same mystery to me thats why I'm looking on this site . I hope someone has actually fixed this problem and can shine some Light on what and how .Mine looks like its pouring in from the back corner of the bilge area and there is a hole there but its is not through the hull .Help
thanks ,Mike

Bushrider

Cadet

I did find my problem this summer, really by coincidence. I had it parked bow-end down, rather than the way I usually park, and one day noticed water leaking out of the through-hull fitting under the front live-well. I put the hose to it and the water poured right out. I filled the through-hull fitting with Marine Goop and stopped it until I replace the fitting (and everything associated with that live-well, actually).
Thanks to Cadwelder (see above).
Good luck,
David

brianwrites

Seaman

I've got the same leak. Haven't traced it down yet. Through hull fitting. Are you referring to the hole in the actual hull under the boat? Sorry, I'm a rookie. Thanks for your help.

GigaBobs

Cadet

I "had" a similar leak in the rear starboard-side of the bilge area. Upon further inspection, I've started a complete rebuild of the boat. I now have the top cap removed. I've got a ton of pictures so far. As I get them all together, I'll be creating a thread of this process. To answer questions about getting into the floor, No... the floor cannot come up on its own, OR with the top cap of the boat. I cut around the inside of the cockpit area (rod locker, front deck, and console) and lifted the cap off. The floor is actually (if done correctly) attached to the stringers. It will have to be cut out once the cap comes off. My stringers are rotted out. And so is the (entire) transom, thus the leak in the rear of the bilge area. This is due to rot in the transom. My boat has been in my garage since October 2010, and transom is still holding water that got in it. I believe once you begin really investigating, you'll find more than you want to find in there.

If start by drilling a couple test holes in your transom (from the INSIDE!), you'll find moisture in there. Here is a picture of the boat with the cap off. By the way, this site and the helpful people that follow it, is Extremely helpful. Don't be shy asking questions. Everyone is here to help.
IMG_0864.jpgIMG_0865.jpg

Mondo25

Recruit

I "had" a similar leak in the rear starboard-side of the bilge area. Upon further inspection, I've started a complete rebuild of the boat. I now have the top cap removed. I've got a ton of pictures so far. As I get them all together, I'll be creating a thread of this process. To answer questions about getting into the floor, No... the floor cannot come up on its own, OR with the top cap of the boat. I cut around the inside of the cockpit area (rod locker, front deck, and console) and lifted the cap off. The floor is actually (if done correctly) attached to the stringers. It will have to be cut out once the cap comes off. My stringers are rotted out. And so is the (entire) transom, thus the leak in the rear of the bilge area. This is due to rot in the transom. My boat has been in my garage since October 2010, and transom is still holding water that got in it. I believe once you begin really investigating, you'll find more than you want to find in there.

If start by drilling a couple test holes in your transom (from the INSIDE!), you'll find moisture in there. Here is a picture of the boat with the cap off. By the way, this site and the helpful people that follow it, is Extremely helpful. Don't be shy asking questions. Everyone is here to help.
View attachment 111385View attachment 111386
GigaBobs I have a 1988 Procraft 1660V that has never taken on water until I replaced the floor and carpet. Now it leaks pretty bad but no idea why. Is it possible I drilled a screw to floor and hit a water line or something? I don't know where the plumbing is routed and figured you had to know since you pulled the cap on your boat. Thanks for any help!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Mondo, If you pulled the deck you would have seen the plumbing. If you did a deckover, you have more rot and weight that you don't need. Yup you broke something.

Mondo25

Recruit
Mondo, If you pulled the deck you would have seen the plumbing. If you did a deckover, you have more rot and weight that you don't need. Yup you broke something.
Grub54891 thanks for the reply. I cut part of the floor out but did put 3/4 Plywood over the whole thing. Agree not ideal but plan to do more when I can. Do you know or have any idea how to find a diagram of how the water lines are routed in a Procraft 1660V boat? Excellent boat until I made a boo boo and I can't find what I did to make it start leaking. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.