Problems with starter motor

novelles

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, thanks in advanced. My Mercruiser 3.0 LX starter motor replaced about 8 months ago is going wrong. :confused: <br /><br />Starter motor had to be replaced last year because it was faulty and it was really rusted, probably because of too much water into the bilge. Two weeks ago starter motor started to make too much noise but got to crank the engine. I checked and realized one of the two bolts was broken and that starter motor was displaced. :mad: <br /><br />I was lucky I could remove broken bolt (it took me hours)and replaced them. Started motor was then working perfectly. :p <br /><br />Last week, and after a hard start due to flooded engine during tune up (I used the starter motor more than usual but no for more than 30 seconds) the starter motor started to do again a hard noise. :confused: <br /><br />Now it is able to crank the engine but making much more noise and doing a GGRRRRRRRRR noise after the start switch is turned off (cranking or not the engine).<br /><br />Any ideas? It seems like the pinion is not returning to its position but I do not know why.<br />Could it be a problem with the solenoid? Could I damage the flywheel if I keep using this starter?<br /><br />I would appreciate any suggestion. I do not feel like spending again 250$ in a new starter so I would like to fix it if possible. ;)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Problems with starter motor

If you remove the starter again, make sure the bendix moves back and forth freely, and make sure the gear "pinion" can spin backward once the bendix is extended.. It may just need a bit of lube/oil on the shaft and gear..<br /><br />It's also possible that the starter is'nt shimed properly... That can cause a damaged flywheel, nosie, and a damaged starter..<br /><br />I would definately replace the solenoid.. That "GRRRRRRR" sound (i'm not there, so can't hear it) sounds too me like the solenoid is sticking and leaving the circut open.. Solenoids go bad when they get heated up from cranking the starter for too long...<br /><br />If need be, starters can be rebuilt, usually for much less than the cost of a new starter.. Just make sure the person who rebuilds it knows that it is a marine starter...

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I was thinking of the solenoid but I was not sure if that is the part that fails from using the starter too much time. It started going wrong then so I guess is the solenoid. I will check if I am able to rebuild this one since it is just eight months old.

Bondo

Staff member

My 1st Guess is,<br />All the time Before you found the Broken Bolt, the Starter was Not In-line,<br />And You've Destroyed the Bendix Drive..........<br />Either have This Starter Rebuilt, <br />Or, Replace it with a New One.........<br /><br />The "Grrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound is a give away......<br />I Really Don't Think it's the Solenoid.............<br />And if you Don't get it Fixed, Pronto.....<br />You'll be pulling the Engine,<br />To replace the Ring-Gear............