Problems with my engine

I have a 1970's mercruiser I/O straight 6 165 engine. the boat is turning over but not starting at first i thought it was the fuel pump since no gas was getting past the pump now the gas is getting to the carb since i replaced the pump but i dont see gas going down into the carb at all. i have checked the fuel filter inside the carb and cleaned it out and reinstalled it and still nothing. Also how do you check to see if your coil is still in good shape? let me know any other info you need to know and any help or tips would be greatly appriciated. oh and also my card is a GM 2 jet carb. The boat started and ran fine about 2 months ago then it sat for the 2 months and this happened when i tried to start it up before going out to the lake.

Re: Problems with my engine

I am only getting gas to the carb it doesnt look like its going through the jets i went and checked and cleaned the points and still nothing im thinking for some reason it is not going past the fuel filter in the carb as i do not see it going down the jets.

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer

While starting or at idle you wont see fuel going down in the carb, its on its idle circuit at that point and fuel will not be flowing through the venturies. <br /><br />With ignition off, pump the throttle and check to see if you are getting squirts of fluid down into the barb body, if so, the accelorator circuit is prolly not suspect, your float could be stuck and not alowing fuel into the bowl.<br /><br />If it has been a while since you used this boat, I would suggest at the very least cleaning, but preferably rebuiding the carb.

i think it is the accel circuit. but i am taking it in its getting to frustrating trying things to see if they are fixable hopefully my carb can be fixed and rebuilt by the shop i am taking it to. i tried last night cleaning the points and i think they might also need replacement because if they are like my VW points they dont work so well when they get really thin and cant touch each other... i do appriciate all the help from everyone... if someone knows a better place than oasis motorsports for taking this old boat and engine in redding california please let me know.