Problems with my 350 mag mpi Serial #0L629952

Saqbcq

Cadet
Ran great for three years. Before winterizing last year I ran the gas down to empty and changed the oil, putting in 20W-50. This year I opened the boat and took her out. After 30 minutes the engine started to miss then it died. It wouldn't restart. I changed the coil-it had a hairline crack in it on the tower arcing to the positive lead. Also changed the MAP sensor. I took the boat out again. After exactly 30 minutes again the engine started to miss again then it died. It restarted after 20 minutes and ran great. I drained the gas tank of all fuel, changed the filter, checked the anti-siphon valve and pick-up tube-all clear. Took out the boat and it missed and stalled again after exactly 30 minutes. Would restart after 20 minutes. Changed the ignition sensor assembly(inside distributor) as per bulletin #200-14-R1 because after the 30 minutes I thought it was a heating issue. Changed the ECT and IAT. Ran it for 30 minutes and it stalled. Now won't restart. Has no spark. New ignition coil and ignition assembly both tested with ohm meter same values as new. 12 volts at both but still no spark(at coil). Neutral safety switch is working and lanyard kill switch is operational. When it runs, it runs great. No misses, all gauges are good though oil gauge is a little high. All fluid levels are good. Is it possible high oil pressure would shut it down? Last year oil pressure was 40 this year 60 or a little higher. New oil is Mobil One synthetic 20W-50. Any help would be greatly appreciated- I am out of ideas.
Thanks.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Problems with my 350 mag mpi Serial #0L629952

mercruiser spec for oil is 25W-40, second is SEA 30

sounds like you have replaced a lot of parts without much proof of their failing

have you connected a scan tool/cds to look at engine data/fault codes??

easiest/simplest cause of no spark on an MPI engine is crank position sensor, check the connection for corrosion/loose wires - no rpm signal when cranking is an indication of crank position sensor failure

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

He doesn't have a crank position sensor on that one dubs. MEFI3 ECM and Thunderbolt ignition.

There are also relays for ign, fuel pumps and the ecm, along with relays. Check to make sure all of them have clean tight contacts before replacing any more parts.

Here's a link to the service manual for your engine.
http://www.4shared.com/document/Pss92fbC/Service_Manual_24.html

Fun Times

Staff member

FYI, Your engine serial number shows your engine still needs to be inspected for this service bulletin below.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/00/00_01.pdf

Also your distributor sensor was done under warranty in 07/26/2000 for a no start. did you do a new rotor? when you did the new sensor???

Unhook the gray wire at the coil going to the tachometer gauge, see if it runs.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

He doesn't have a crank position sensor on that one dubs. MEFI3 ECM and Thunderbolt ignition.

ahhhh....

there i go spoutin off again!!

thanks, don :)

Saqbcq

Cadet

Dubs : Thanks for your time MAP sensor($10 Ebay) got crushed because kids wanted on boat running or not. ECT ($17 NAPA) plastic was dry rotted or something when I went to unplug plastic fell off . Coil ($40 NAPA) was bad. Changed IAT because it was only ($20 NAPA). The ignition sensor assembly ($65 marina)was replaced because of TSB symptoms are exactly what its doing.I don't have alot tied up in it concidering BOAT means Bring Out Another Thousand. And CodeMate is on the way.

Don : Thanks for your time I believe you unknowingly gave me the manual in one of your other posts. Fuel pump is running and 12V at coil but will double check

Fun : Thanks for your time and info The (-) on my coil is white and goes to ECM and Tach both can I still disconnect. I just noticed that on one of the many pages I've been reading I was planning to disconnect tach at the dash and test the wire samething but your way is easier.

Saqbcq

Cadet

Received brand new faulty coil put old one in with crack and got spark purchased another coil tested yesterday ran like a champ thanks to all for time and info.

NHGuy

Captain

Gahd I hate new defect electrics!