Problem with fuse by solenoid on 110 1990 Evinrude

BassSpotter

Cadet
I was hoping somebody may have a little information or guidence for me. When preparing my boat for the upcoming season I noticed that I didn't have any power to my tilt/trim or to my starter. I checked over the wires and battery and found that the 20 amp fuse by the solenoid was blown. I placed a new one in and it blew. It blows as soon as the new fuse is placed in. The ignition switch is off and I checked the hot wires for wear but nothing. Any suggestions?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Problem with fuse by solenoid on 110 1990 Evinrude

check your power trim circuit, it works when the key is off, and could be shorted.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Suggestion...... Connect a ohm meter set to hign ohms between the open fuse lead (not the one connected to the solenoid, the other end) and the powerhead (ground).

You'll obviously obtain a high reading due to a bad short, at which time you can now locate the short. When the ohm reading drops to zero, you've got it.

BassSpotter

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys, after going over everything it ended being a hot wire in the red plug, I ran a jumper wire for the plugs to check and it worked perfectly. Thanks again!

I have a 10 amp fuse next to my trim motor that blows as soon as I put the fuse in the holder. Is this the same problem you had? I am not sure what to do as I have searched for hours for a shorted wire.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sure sounds lke it. the ignition fuse is a 20 amp.