Problem in lower cylinder

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi everyone,<br />(63' 40hp Evinrude)<br /><br />This is a follow up post for another thread. I had troubles today on the water. Basically the boat wouldn't get up on plane. Someone thought that I might be running on one cylinder. <br /><br />I checked fuel to both cylinders and everything looks normal. <br /><br />Please remind me again how to check spark without shocking the heck out of myself. I searched the forums but I can't find the right way to check.<br /><br />The lower cylinder has an older plug with a crappy helicoil. The plug is pitch black and came out today after a run very wet with black gas/oil. <br /><br />I think that I will replace the head with a used one from the local salvage yard. But is there anything that I can do in the meantime to fix this?<br /><br />Thanks guys <br /><br />Sal

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Problem in lower cylinder

you could have a wiring problem, one of the black wires that comes out from under the flywheel on the exhaust side may be shorting out. Or (MORE LIKELY) One of the coils is cracked. when you crank it over, each coil needs to be able make the spark jump a 3/8' gap. if it cant do this, then it will fail to produce a spark when the cylinder has compression.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Problem in lower cylinder

Gotcha! Back to the garage.... Thanks