Problem devolution - distributor thing

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all.<br />Well, I started this new post to hopefully make it easier to navigate and to perhaps attract some additional interest. It was originally posetd as Power Issues 188 HP Merc 302 Ford<br />here's the link<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=004040 <br /><br />Just to recap, this all started out with surging that seemed like fuel problems and I've drained off the fuel, changed the separator, rebuilt the carb, replaced the points, plugs, plug wires, cap. rotor. et al. <br /><br />Today I tackled the timing issue. I found the timing marks finally, but I also discovered one of the springs in the distributor was broken. So I marked everything up and pulled the distributor and went to a local hot rod shop and got the Mallory spring kit. <br /><br />Well, I really have no idea how the timing curve is supposed to be for my setup and I couldn't find any appropriate data on the web, so I put in the 2 springs which appeared to match the ones already in there. <br /><br />I put it back together, set the points and turned it over. It didn't want to start so I moved the timing around until I was able to get it running. However, now the relative physical position of the distributor does not agree with the marks I made when I removed it. I was clobbered by darkness and had to quit for the night and didn't get to put a timing light on it. <br /><br />Here's where I think I'm at now. Hopefully someone will give this a reality check and help me sort it out: <br /><br />It seems to me that with the a broken spring, the timing was advancing immediately. thus, it seems likely that the marks I made for alignment purposes wouldn't be correct anymore (too far retarded), thus creating the need to advance the timing to get the engine running ( which is what I had to do). <br /><br />I want to be sure that I get the distributor setting right and I guess the only way to do that now is to pull number 1 plug, cycle the engine through until I get compression on number one and make sure the rotor is pointing where it should and the points are doing their thing. Then I assume I'll set the timing as normal?<br /><br />The good news may be that the crappy running I was experiencing, (which began this entire process weeks ago) was due to way too much advance too early. <br /><br />Any thoughts are much appreciated! If I am missing something or making this harder than it needs to be, set me straight. <br /><br />Regards, crt.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problem devolution - distributor thing

Look at it this way CSC, next time you'll be the expert. ;) <br /><br />The ONLY way to find TDC, without a feeler guage and your valve covers removed, is with those timing marks that you found. I assume the 188 hp<br />Merc 302 is about the same as the 190 hp OMC 302.<br />OMC calls for initial advance of 10 deg BTDC. If your motor runs at all, currently, you have at least got the distrib in on the right 180 deg option. If you made a scribe on the rim of the distrib, at # 1, and reinserted the distrib with the rotor pointing to that scribe, then you won't be a tooth off. If you are no more than a tooth off, there is probably enough rotation(against the plug wires) to compensate for it. Leave your distrib clamp loose enough to turn. Now turn your engine around, using breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley nut, till the static pointer points to 10 deg BTDC. If you go past it do not back up, you'll need to go around 2 x more. Take your circuit test lite and clip it to ground. Hold the probe on the swing arm of the points. Rotate the distrib, slowly, back and or forth til the test lite comes on. Tighten down distrib clamp. You are now timed. <br /><br />As for the curve, at least a Seloc repair manual for Merc, will have a graph for your 188. Or look up your local distributor guru. He will probably have it too. You should definitley have him check out the bushings when he checks the curve. Worn bushings can cause big problems. Probably cost you 50 bucks.

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks boom.<br /><br />My timimg spec is 8 degrees, but otherwise it's gonna be the same. I'm gonna go out right now and get this thing timed. I'm learning a ton!<br /><br />Regards, crt.

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boom:<br />I stand corrected. My timing is also 10 degrees.<br /><br />I did the procedure and discovered that I can actually turn the points cam in the distributor by rotating the rotor! Hadn't noticed this before. I assume this part is pressed on and that some thing has worn out. Was this the bushing you mentioned?<br /><br />I'm almost ready to go get a new distributor. <br /><br />Hey, at least I know where the timing belongs! <br /><br />Hey, it's a boat...<br /><br />Regards, crt.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Your rotor is supposed to turn the points cam, that is how the ignition is advanced.<br /><br />Also, it doesnt matter if your ditributor is not in the same place as it was before. Just make sure that you have enough room to be able to adjust the timing.<br /><br />I honestly dont think your timimng curve is that critical, but others may chime in. As long as you can get the timing stable at idle and that the distributor has finished advancing the timing by 2000-2500 rpm, you should be fine. I am thinking (but dont know the specs) that you should have about 28-32 degrees total timing by 2500 rpm.<br /><br />Ken

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

are you sure that the distrib is all the way down?<br />the only other possibility, if the point cam is turning when you twist the rotor, is that the gear at the bottom of the shaft has lost or broken it's drift pin. ( without one in hand I think that's how the bottom gear is held on)<br /><br />No, this is not the bushing issue, they are what keep the shaft rotating without taking an eliptical orbit.<br /><br />I you have to get a new distrib. it must me marine. you also want a pointless one. check out this on ebay:<br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31284&item=2431766822 <br /><br />I'm not sure what the curve is on this but they can be altered and being marine, for a 302, it can't be far off. Just email them to make sure that your tach will work after install.<br /><br />Or still find that distrib guru in your hood. ask him about pointless conversion for your distrib if useable. Compare prices. pointless is definately the way to go. you don't need all that other high output ignition stuff to go with it. Pointless is a true fire and forget setup. If they do convert your distrib. always carry a set of conventional points and condensor, in a ziplock bag w/ air sucked out) in the glove box just in case.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The above re turning rotor assumes that you have the distrib installed, not in hand.<br /><br />The curve on your distrib is most likely a two stage lineal advance. First step, from idle, is to 28 deg total BTDC (initial + centrifical) at 1800 rpm, then it flattens out a bit to 36 deg total at 4000 rpm then gains no more to redline.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Skiff are you saying that you can turn the rotor by hand with the distributer installed??

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys. The "manual turning of the rotor" was due to a loose screw (and not in my head!)There is a "fork" -like part that tightens into the plate and excerts pressure against the shaft the rotor mounts on. Here's a link to a similar Mallory distributor where you can see this assembly: http://www.mrgasket.com/pdf/mallory_pdf/mal_distributors.pdf <br /><br />So I fixed that, got it back together and it starts up OK, but I can't get a steady idle. This is actually worse than it was before. The distributor is definitely doing something cause I put a light on it and I can see the marks which are in the ballpark, but are moving around due to the inconsistent idle. The situation doesn't improve as I raise the rpm's. <br /><br />so I assume the the distributor spring trick didn't do it or I've managed to screw the distributor up, or it's just plain hosed. The dwell is good though and that static timing worked perfect. I even got the distributor orientation back to where it was before I initially removed it. <br /><br />One think I'm pretty darn certain of, the distributor is at least part of my problem. And If a fuel pump with too much pressure and too high of a flow rate is a problem, then I have that problem too.<br /><br />I'm gonna start shopping for a distributor. <br /><br />Thanks again everyone. If you think of more good stuff, keep it comin'! Although I can't use the boat, it's becoming a great school and you all are my professors! And Boom, your the head master!<br /><br />Regards, Chuck.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Be sure to ask your local autoparts guy or better yet stop by a local engine builder/machine shop. They'll know who and where the local distrib guru is and he will be able to check you unit out. They have a little machine they spin it up on and it tells them every thing they need to know. Don't just go buy a non-marine automotive distributor off the shelf somewhere. You may start a vicious cycle again.

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Re the advance curve:<br />Thanks for the info boom and Northern E.It seems that the limits on my distributor are adjusted to 29 degrees max. WOT for my engine is supposedly only 4100 max. I would have to agree with Northern E that as long as you can get the timing stable at idle and that the distributor has finished advancing the timing by 2000-2500 rpm, it should work. The problem now is eratic running and eratic timing.<br /><br />I wonder if the springs are not pulling the weights back reliably thus causing the weird idle? Maybe the stuff is just kind of flopping around in there. I wouldn't mind pulling it again and playing with the springs if I thought I could actually get anywhere. <br /><br />It's too nice outside to have my head in the engine room! <br /><br />regards, crt.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Not True CSC. Your distrib advance should not top out till 4000 rpm. See post of today at 2:07 pm. Subtracting the initial 10 deg static advance that is a total distrib advance of approx 26 deg, 18 of it at a rather steep straightline increase from idle to 1800 rpm and the balance of it in a slower rise to 4000 rpm. At this point you need to take the guess work out of it and let an expert, with diagnostic equip look at it.<br /><br />Boy you are right about the weather. I keep bouncing back and forth from my boat project to my computer. These days are definitely short lived around here.

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boom:<br />Ah, I get it. Gotta account for the 10 degree initial timing advance. Wouldn't be hard to figure out the right spring set now with the spec chart that came with the springs! However, I may be ready to hand it over to a doctor. I'm getting punchy.<br /><br />I saw the ebay distributor you linked me to. Kinda tempting. I'm still noodling on that one.<br /><br />Anywho, gonna go cut some grass so I can say I was out in the sun today.<br /><br />Regards, crt.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

CSC,a thing to keep in the back of your mind, if after you have the distrib checked out/repaired & you still have a problem, a stretched or jumped timing chain can cause erradic running problems. If it's just stretched it usually just causes an erratic idle. Once you pour the coal to it the slack is taken out of the chain and every thing smooths out. If it should of already jumped a tooth then you have problems across the rpm range. Not so nice food for thought. I don't know what the rate of incidence is for marine versus car but you have some years on that motor and??????

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Boom.<br />Interestingly, I woke up this morning thinking about the timing chain thing! We must be getting psychic. Or perhaps I'm getting psychotic! Anyway, a timing chain issue is definitely a strong possibility. <br /><br />I think I'm gonna spring for the remanufactured breakerless Mallory. I emailed the guy and he could ship tomorrow. I could actually have it overnighted and still be saving a ton of money. In any event, the distributor is a good investment. <br /><br />Now I'm thinking I might want to check the timing chain for stretch and/or slippage today. I don't have a gear puller, but I think a local auto parts place loans them for free. One thing is almost certain, if I inspect it. I'll probably end up replacing it!<br /><br />If I keep up this pace, I'll end up pulling the engine and rebuilding it. Maybe I'll hot rod this old Skiff Craft up while I'm at it...<br /><br />Regards, crt.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Sure CSC. All you have to do to beef that thing up is to slide that 302 block out from under that 188's 351W heads and camshaft and slip in a 351W shortblock. Then you won't have to worry about a new timing chain. :D <br /><br />ps hope you didn't get a sunburn mowin that lawn last afternoon

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yo Boom.<br />Hummm... A 351... An engine swap... :eek: :eek: <br /><br />Well, with winter coming, if I had a place to get the boat indoors and still be able to work on it, I actually think I would do just that. <br /><br />I'm still trying to decide about pulling the timing cover. Even that isn't fun. If it wasn't about having to drain the oil and cut the pan gasket, I don't think I'd care much. Oh well, we'll see. I am still thinking I'll cop that distributor though. <br /><br />By the way, didn't get sunburned. In fact it was worse having to dodge misquitos. For some reason the ones in my neighborhood don't seem to understand they're supposed to restrict their activities till dusk. I mean these suckers (pun intended) will get you at 3 in the afternoon! Probably some alien mutant strain that does too much caffeine. <br /><br />Well, I gotta make a run to the store. Even boat rats need to eat.<br /><br />Regards, crt.

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The latest:<br />Picked up the remanufactured Mallory distributor and it is in transit! <br /><br />When I went to the auto parts to pick up a tool today, I was overcome by a burst of encouragement and decided I'd change the timing set. So I purchased all the necessary stuff and have thus far drained the water, oil, pulled the alternator, fuel pump and the damper. Tomorrow the water pump and front cover and the new goodies go in there! Gotta be a good thing for a 30 year old engine! <br /><br />Hopefully after this it will run the way it should. If it doesn't, at least I will have performed a lot of appropriate maintenance, invested in some sensible upgrades and eliminated the very obvious. <br /><br />Regards, Chuck.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you're sliding into home plate CSC. Will anxiously stand by for the Refs decision.

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I got the new timing set in. The old one didn't seem terrible, but the amount of deflection on the old chain compared to the new was a lot. So I got the front cover all cleaned up ready for new gaskets, but alas I got confused about the oil seal install, meaning whether from the outside or the inside of the cover. I posted this delima and got the help I needed! :cool: <br /><br />Tomorrow I'll get it all back together and my new distributor arrives as well, which I'll immediately install. Nice new oil and oil filter and I'll be sweating razor blades when I fire it up!<br /><br />If it still runs raggedy, at least I'll know what it isn't! <br /><br />Put me in your prayers everyone!<br /><br />Regards, crt.