Problem: Boat moves 5mph at full throttle. Help Please

LeePhan79

Cadet
Hi all, I have a 16ft Invader with a 1970's Mercury 1150 (115hp) inline 6 motor thunderbolt. About 2 nights ago I hit my propeller running aground and chipped one of my blades tips while loading the boat back on trailer. Last night, after launching and getting out in the water, my boat would not go over 5mph no matter how much gas I give it. It idles good and boat slowly moves at 1/3 throttle, but once I give it 1/2 or full throttle, the engine would just rev really high and boat just maintains 5mph speed. Boat just wont get up and it seems like the propeller isnt getting any power to it. Did I damage something when i hit the blade? Im a totally new at marine engines, can anyone please give me some ideas and advice on what to do? Thanks!

RyanSS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Problem: Boat moves 5mph at full throttle. Help Please

sounds like you spun the hub. Take the prop off and inspect the hub for damage. If it's fine, you might have busted the gears inside the lower unit.

LeePhan79

Cadet

sounds like you spun the hub. Take the prop off and inspect the hub for damage. If it's fine, you might have busted the gears inside the lower unit.

Hmmmm, if I busted my gears, wouldnt my propeller not move at all? I hope its just the hub, I will check it out. Do i need any special tools to remove the propeller nut?

mercmarc1979

Cadet

hi mate u dont need any special tools to remove the prop ,maybe a puller but thts it

luckynickles

Seaman Apprentice

sounds like to me you spun your prop out there is a rubber inbetween the metal of the prop and the spline where you slide it on if you look at the back of the prop and see rubber worn thats prob it