Printer/fax woes.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got an awesome deal on 2 HP J3680 all in ones today. Everything works perfectly except the fax. I have digital phone service and when I plug the line into the fax machine all of the lights on my modem start blinking in unison and I lose my dial tone. Exact same problem with both machines. When I plug in a regular phone I have no problems.
Now, if I have the handset off the fax machine and plug it in I get a dial tone and the modem doesnt start its disco light thing. I can call and talk on the headset through the fax, but the second I hang up the handset the lights start blinking and I lost the dial tone.
The manual online says I need to use the phone cable that came with it or I may not be able to send or receive faxes, but I dont have that and I cant find a place to order the stupid cord.
Anyone have this issue? Any work arounds? PLEASE?

kei9th

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Printer/fax woes.

i think you need a in line filter because of the digital phone service. the fax is listening for a distinct sound to send and receive faxes. when you use the phone portion it will go through as normal. im sure you can buy the filter at a radio shack. i don't know the exact name of the product but if the radio shack guys has any sort of knowledge other than cell phones he will know what you need.

if you google this (GE 76249 DSL Phone Line Filter,) this should solve your problem. you don't need that exact one i just wanted to show you what you are looking for. it shouldn't cost more than 10 dollars.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Printer/fax woes.

For no other better term, your fax needs to have a analog line.
(POTS, plain old telephone line)
Faxes will not work on a cell or digital service (very well, less than 1% will go through)

The issue is the handshake one machine does to the other before the TX RX can happen.