Priming problems on cold start

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 88 Suzuki DT175. I have had an issue with cold starts (only cold). I have to do this procedure below to get it to run steady.

- Pump the bulb until its firm
- Push the choke in for 10 sec then turn over
- Starts in about 3-5 turnovers but will stall in 5 secs
- Check bulb and needs to be pumped again
- Pump until firm and repeat

This goes on until it decides its warmed up enough to actually start lifting the throttle up.....then it stays running. This might be 5-10 times through the steps above. It runs fine on warm starts.....loads up sometimes on idle but its an 88. I rebuilt the carbs during the winter and this helped a lot with rough idle but still loads up and has a cold start issue.

Any ideas?

James R

Commander
Re: Priming problems on cold start

Yup sometimes they are finicky. I assume that you have the start up throttle lever on the remote pulled up. So fire her up and when she starts to falter push the choke in again. Can often take two or three chokings to get them running. Just takes a little encouragement to get the fuel pump to grab the fuel.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Priming problems on cold start

I don't actually lift the throttle lever up. It seems it doesnt want to start when i do....just keeps kicking over.....maybe I am pulling it up too far or something. I may try this next time I try starting it again. Maybe I will just pull it up a little bit and see if she starts up that way.