PRIMER? CARB?

MIKE COLLIER

Seaman Apprentice
after sitting up for three years my 1999 50 hp Johnson wouldn't start. In my infinite wisdom and not liking the VRO anyway, I replaced it with a single function Sierra pump. Simple task. Changed fuel tanks and used fresh gas. I can hear the solenoid click. Now it will start and run with the "choke" depressed. I'm thinking it's a gummed up carburetor. Is there another test? Cure? Rebuild carbs? thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The test is that it will run with the key pushed in, that tells you the carb isn't doing its job.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
after sitting up for three years my 1999 50 hp Johnson wouldn't start. In my infinite wisdom and not liking the VRO anyway, I replaced it with a single function Sierra pump. Simple task. Changed fuel tanks and used fresh gas. I can hear the solenoid click. Now it will start and run with the "choke" depressed. I'm thinking it's a gummed up carburetor. Is there another test? Cure? Rebuild carbs? thanks

Sound to me like a carb rebuild with a kit installed. And be glad everything else is seeming to work. JMHO

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree, definitely in need of a good carb cleaning. Sounds like its running too lean (clogged jets/passages).