primer bulb placement

chadchurchill

Seaman
I am replacing the fuel lines going to my 1986 75 hp Mercury. It currently has fuel line coming from the tank to the primer bulb, then to a water separating filter, then to an inline clear glass filter, then into the motor and the fuel pump, then another inline glass filter, then finally into the carb. When I put in new lines I'm going to eliminate the inline filter between the water separating filter and the motor, but I'm wondering where the best location is for the primer bulb. Before or after the water separating filter?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: primer bulb placement

If you have the option (and you might not) I would put the primer bulb between the tank and the water filter. The reason is that it is much easier for the fuel bulb to prime itself without having to suck through the water filter. Similarly, it is easier to push fuel into the water filter than to suck fuel into it. However, if you don't have the option it will work the other way, you just have to pump a lot (thats the way I have it but not by choice)

chadchurchill

Seaman

Thanks jimd, I do have the option to put it before the filter. I'll set it up that way!

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Once it is primed after installation, the filter is always full so it would be no different than if you didn't have a filter at all.

LubeDude

Admiral

I have a water filter on mine, Merc 150, and I have the bulb between the engine and the water filter, It has no problems pulling fuel into the filter.