Pricing boat question

204Angler

Seaman
I am trying to sell my boat before I leave on my deployment in a couple months. I have scanned Craigslist, Iboats, Hulltruth and countless other classified and boating websites looking to see what comparable center consoles are going for. I have seen them go from 5,500-11,000. That isn't much help since that is a huge price margin. NADA isn't much help either since rarely are private sales based on NADA or KBB (at least for cars/trucks) I am not in a huge rush to sell it since I have a couple months but would like to unload it before I leave so I can get another bigger one when I get back.
What is everyones opinion on an asking price for
20'4" '94 Angler cc with a 150 blackmax, t-top vhf, gps/ff, 2009 tandem axle karavan trailer with brakes. It isn't perfect, don't have exact hours since rebuild (around 75 probably), perfectly even compression. Nothin wrong with it really. That isn't much detail I know but if you had the boat, what would you ask for it? "toys" are hard to sell, especially boats this time of year so it is possible (although not preferred) to wait until I get back in August. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pricing boat question

Where are you?

Since the timing is what it is, and you can't enjoy anything until you get back (new or old) why not put her on consignment somewhere? All you would have to do is approve any sell price and then someone else handles it all. If she doesn't go then you are no worse off than waiting and if she does sell you are ready to shop when you get back.

Oh, and thank you for your service!

204Angler

Seaman

I am in NC and have two dealers within 30 minutes of home so I could find out about there consignment programs. Just seems like a hassle and would prefer to sell it privately. Consigning is an option, but not my first choice. Thank you for the idea...I will follow up when time becomes more of an issue. Oh, and I am proud to serve!

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, can't help with the price. But I wanted to thank you for your service, wish you a safe deployment. Keep your head down and get some bad guys! Stay safe.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

sight unseen I'd put it in the 5-6000 range. You are competing with a number of year 2000-2005 that buyers will feel more comfortable with. However, the 20' CC is the most favored boat on the mid-Atlantic.
Savvy buyers know that this is a good time to buy (which isn't good for sellers) but your general market won't gear up until April. I think you need to decide to hold, sell low or consign.
No harm in runnnig a set of ads on craigslist in your area, Richmond and Norfolk.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Check Boat Trader publications and Trader on lineif you have not already done so.