preventitive measures

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi guys just a few questions

1:my manual keeps calling my sterndrive an I drive,im totally lost now on buying parts i always thought it was a pre alpha

2: the impellor looks fine but seems kinda flimsy should i change it seen as im there anyway

3: is there meant to be a gasket where the lower unit meets upper unit as there wasnt when i took it off

4:the whole leg is off what should i look for as in preventitive precautions

5: is this now time to change all bellows now the leg is off

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: preventitive measures

bumpety bump
sry for impatience but am putting it alll back together tomorrow

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

1,.. How would they have known it was a Pre-Alpha,..?? If the Alpha hadn't been Intro'ed yet,..??

It was known then, as now, the Model 1...

2,.. If the impeller is out,.. Sure, change it...

3,.. Nope..

4,+ 5,.. Look it over,... If something looks Bad,.. Change it...

ziggy

Admiral

elebaboarting on 4 & 5,
inspect

check alignment
drive shaft bellows
shift shaft bellows
gimble brg. for absolute smoothness
grease coupler splines
inspect and grease ujoints
lub shift shaft slide and lever
check water hose
if you have any rustys, check ft. seal of drive

all this info can be found in your mercruiser service manual. check it to make sure i didn't miss anything...

as for the impeller, i'm going with replacing mine every year. since i have to inspect it every year. i'm replacing it. to critical of a part to not do it since it's not real easy to go get too.. as for replacing the bellows, you'll have to go to the next step and remove the bellhousing to replace them, so your only half way there....

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the help guys
i did manage to change the wxhaust bellows without even removing the leg (never again) i gues i`ll remove bellhousing to do other bellows
happy boating everyone

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1:my manual keeps calling my sterndrive an I drive,im totally lost now on buying parts i always thought it was a pre alpha
A 1 drive was a "Pre" Alpha. The word pre just means it came out before the Alpha drive.

2: the impellor looks fine but seems kinda flimsy should i change it seen as im there anyway
Anytime an impeller is a year old and it's removed for any reason, replace it.

3: is there meant to be a gasket where the lower unit meets upper unit as there wasnt when i took it off
Not a gasket, as in a paper gasket over the complete surface, but there is a quad ring on the stbd side near the rear of the raw water pump that MUST be replaced. It seals the oil passage between the upper and lower.

4:the whole leg is off what should i look for as in preventitive precautions

See Ziggies post.

5: is this now time to change all bellows now the leg is off
The drive has to come off to replace the bellows, the drive should come off every year at least To remove the drive is a 10 minute job, to change the bellows is a full day at least for the inexperienced, and expensive for parts.
Are they due for replacement??????

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The drive has to come off to replace the bellows, the drive should come off every year at least To remove the drive is a 10 minute job, to change the bellows is a full day at least for the inexperienced, and expensive for parts.
Are they due for replacement??????

the ujoint looks like it has seen water and it is very damp in the drive bellows but no water,and i have only owned her since august 08 so dont know when it was last changed.
when i changed the exhaust bellows it fell apart in my hands