preventing wheel cyl from rust

Bski

Seaman
I replaced both my trailer wheel cylinders cause one got stuck and locked up the brake. <br /><br />Is there any solution that can be put on them around the piston area to prevent from rust. <br /><br />I only use them in fresh water but they get very rusted and I can see the piston getting stuck again in the next few years.

tommays

Admiral
Re: preventing wheel cyl from rust

i use mercury 2-4-C grease on the piston and pull and clean it once a year havent had one stick after doing that<br /><br />it only takes a small amount like a tablespoon<br /><br />the linkage on the front shoe of free backing drums is very prone to sticking and i usally need to remove the shoes and do some work to get it moveing freely<br /><br />but i boat in saltwater so i have more problems i find it best to just throw away the whole thing after 3 years the parts are so expensive compared to getting a compleat new one for 75 dollars or less <br /><br /><br />tommays

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I have heard that the aluminum wheel cylinders are less prone to rusting than the cast iron ones.

Bski

Seaman

I did see some aluminum cylinders available online and figured they may be a better way to go. Since I wanted to fix it right away I went with the readily available cast iron units but will try aluminum next time.<br /><br />I'm going to try the grease method and see how that works out.<br /><br />Kind of thought that the piston and cylinder would stay lubed with the brake fluid but maybe it sits so long that it drys up.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I have heard that the aluminum wheel cylinders are less prone to rusting
Its more than hear-say. <br /><br />Aluminum doesnt rust.<br /><br /> :D

Triton II

Commander

It just corrodes!
Antennaemountcorrosion.jpg
<br />This is a view of the antenna mounting area on the aluminium roof of my 2003 cuddy cabin boat - the dealer hadn't used Duralac between the mount holes and the stainless steel mounting screws. Salt water plus unprotected aluminium plus stainless steel = corrosion city. I only noticed when the paint started blistering. He fixed the problem under warranty. :)

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

I smeared silicone grease around the inside of mine also in the groove where the dust boot fits, then took a long thin ty-wrap, long enough to go around twice, and put it around the boot right where it sits in the groove. Been that way for 3 years and about 3000 miles and no trouble.

KaGee

Admiral

I just bought backer plates (not free-backing), shoes, hardware and cylinders already assembled for $52.00 ea. Cylinders were almost $30 on-line and the local parts house did not stock them.

Airpacker

Seaman Apprentice

Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning that it absorbs water. Flush the fluid yearly to help prevent rust inside the wheel cylinders.