Pretty dumb newbie questions....

legend602

Cadet
I've grown up around boats all my life (My father's) but this is my first one. I just bought (On Monday) a 2001 Nitro NX 882 with a Mercury outboard 150hp engine. It's in great condition, and I REALLY want to keep it that way, so I have a couple of questions.<br /><br />1. Is it better to use a higher octane (Such as 93) on boat engines? I've heard both ways before.<br />2. It's a 2stroke engine, so does it use just standard 2stroke oil? (It does have it's own resevoir. I know I can't spell that word) <br /><br />I bought it as a "repo" at a GREAT deal, so I don't have the manual or anything with it.<br /><br />3. Once I'm done running the engine, and going to store it for a few days to a week or more, is it better to run the engine, and then unplug the fuel line to the engine, to run all the gas out? I've heard this helps to keep the carbs from getting clogged.<br />4. It came with a Humminbird 160SX on it. I want to move it to the front, and add in a depth finder gauge (Which fits perfectly in my dashboard). The transducer is already mounted in the hull (From the manufacturer). Is it better, to run from the transducer to a switch, and from there to the depth & fish finders? (Using the switch to decide which I want to use, the depth finder mounted in the dash, or the fish finder mounted on the front of the boat) Or, is it better to run a transom-mounted transducer to use for the dash-mounted depthfinder?<br /><br />I appreciate everyone's help!<br /><br />-Mike

D

DJ

Re: Pretty dumb newbie questions....

Mike,<br /><br />1. You do not need to use any octane over 87. Higher octane fuels tend to aid in carbon build up in the cylinders.<br /><br />2. Use the highest grade (TCW-3) oil you can afford. I assume this is a Mercury. Go to your Merc. store and ask them about synthetics and/or synthetic blends.<br /><br />3. Since you do not know the history on this unit, it might be a good idea to get the lower unit serviced, water pump checked/replaced.<br /><br />I do not run my engines out of fuel. It depends on how long you let it sit between uses. Any more than a couple of weeks and you should treat the fuel. Your Merc. dealer can recommend a fuel additive that will accomplish this and other benefits-such as carbon control.<br /><br />On your finders, I personally like a switch, if the transducers are compatible.