Prestolite trim pump cable

paul2112

Seaman
Anyone know where to purchase replacement cable for the prestolite trim pump,,also need the screw-on cap the cable passes thru and screws to body.. Old cable was cut off at the pump,,Its 2 wire,blue/green and appears to be around 10awg ea wire...Thanks

Last edited:

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prestolite trim pump cable

Go to your local electrical wholesaler and ask for a tinned two core flex with rubber insulation, your big problem will be taking the motor apart and brazing the cables back on the brushes. My suggestion would be to take the tilt trim pump to a motor rewinder and ask them to replace, it may cost you more, but I have found it nearly impossible to reconnect cables onto the brush section. The last two times I pulled these motors apart, the cables broke off the brush housing, mainly from them overheating in the first place and one had moisture in it which slowed it up till eventually it stopped due to rust in the brush housing. Seems strange they would cut the cable if, unless the motor didn't work?

paul2112

Seaman

image.jpgimage.jpgThanks I think I found something that might work,,,,this cable run into the top cap so it's going to be easy I think...much appreciated

Jiggz

Captain

Usually, the cable used on this motor is a jacketed 2 or 3 wire or even a 2 or 3 wire cable just like the SJOOW or SOOW type. There is a rubber grommet with a cord strain nylon nut which also makes the cable watertight. I think a 10 gauge wire might be a little over but acceptable as long as it will fit the cap hole. I believe the motor is protected by a 20 amp fuse or ckt breaker which could mean a 12 gauge will suffice especially if it is only on an intermittent used motor.