Prestolite ignition compatibility

MostlyHrmlss

Seaman
I have a 1985 85hp, with the Prestolite ignition. The 1/2 CDI box and coils are all black in color, but the #3 CDI and coil are blue. The wires from the blue CDI were spliced to the original harness, correctly as far as I can tell. I'm having ignition problems, and would like to swap out parts The thing is, the wires between the coil and CDI have the opposite genders on the blue and black boxes, so I can't plug the blue coil into the black CDI, and vice-versa. What I have in mind is cutting the connectors from the wire between the blue CDI and coil and splicing them back the other way, like the black ones are. This begs the question, are the blue and black components compatible, other than the connector gender?

MostlyHrmlss

Seaman
Re: Prestolite ignition compatibility

Wonderful. Next question: One side of my stator is reading 2.4K Ohms, so I figure it's time for another one. There's one on eBay pulled from a 1988 85hp. It has two yellows, two blues, and two green/yellows (i.e. all the same wires as mine), just with spades instead of connectors. Will this work for me? It's awful cheap.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prestolite ignition compatibility

Yep it will work it's just different connectors you'll need to do some splicing. Also make sure you hold the end of the spades and pull the wires...usually these are corroded and pull right out i'd put new connectors on it if I were you.