Pressure guage explodes in my hand!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Was adding air to the trailer tires (5.30x12 load range C - 80 psi) when I press a common pencil style gauge onto the tire and BANG the gauge self destructs and I'm left holding the round ball end on the tire valve! The spring, casing, plunger, gauge stick, etc blasted out onto the driveway. Scared the crap out of me!

Now I know what is inside those cheap pencil style gauges! :D

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pressure guage explodes in my hand!

Haha! I just replaced my inflator for my compressor not long ago. The rubber was so cracked I was shocked it was still air tight (~15yrs old).

I've been lucky enough to never have a car tire (or guage) explode on me. I once overinflated a bicycle tire and the tube literally burst through the tire itself and formed this 6" balloon on the outside of the wheel. I was about 7yrs old at the time, and I still remember that Einsteinian moment of sheer terror as time slowed to near nothing and I examined and wondered what on earth to do.. then time returned to normal and.. it burst! I learned about air pressure that day ;)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Was adding air to the trailer tires (5.30x12 load range C - 80 psi) when I press a common pencil style gauge onto the tire and BANG the gauge self destructs and I'm left holding the round ball end on the tire valve! The spring, casing, plunger, gauge stick, etc blasted out onto the driveway. Scared the crap out of me!

Now I know what is inside those cheap pencil style gauges! :D

Scary time for you. I have had the same gauge (good quality) for the last 30 years and a digital one that was a Fathers day gift for about 5 years. I think I will stick with them.

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was having my bicycle tire replaced at a bike shop. While they were working on it, I was browsing the store with my daughter. Suddenly we heard a big pop. The tube had popped in the guy's hand. After he was done, I asked him a question...to which he replied...I can't hear very well..just had a bike tube pop right by my face...close call!!:eek:

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe you just put a little too much air in the tire? :D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Maybe you just put a little too much air in the tire? :D

Well, it says 80 psi max, so if a little is good, more is better right? I was up to 120 psi when it blew....

Just kidding....:D

I don't know where that gauge came from. It was chrome case with a black plastic end that fits the tire valve. Thats where it separated and it was loud.

Buy the all metal gauges. I have a nice pencil stainless gauge that goes up to 120 psi, a smaller high accuracy pencil that goes up to about 60 psi, and a nice dial face gauge that goes to about 60 psi. These I've had for years with no problems.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ever see a boat trailer rim split in two and go skyward? Many years ago I happened to be in the Skelly gas station in my home town when a dude was inflating a trailer tire. Not watching what he was doing he apparently over inflated the thing and the rim split in two and one half stuck in the ceiling. Fortunately nobody was injured but the rim remained in the ceiling as a reminder of what can happen. Truck tires mounted on split rims were responsible for many a broken arms and even death in some cases when an improperly seated rim lock ring came loose and struck the person inflating the tire. Inflation cages made out of very stout steel tubing soon became popular. Today, I insert two bolts through a trailer rim to prevent rim failure during inflation. When mounted there is not danger of this happening, or if the rim is mounted to a spare tire bracket. But when not secured, beware.