Preseason maintenance

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,

I have a 91 Mercury 135 black max that I just bought and know nothing about the history. Took it out last weekend (had awesome weather here in Alabama last weekend, but its long gone now :mad:) and ran well other than running a little on the warm side. Per ya'lls advice, Im going to change the 2 stats, poppet valve, impelller, and add a water pressure gauge. Im also going to change the gear oil in the foot, and change the plug wires and plugs. Is there anything else I should change out or grease before the boating season? Thanks for all the help you have given me.

Don

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Preseason maintenance

Look for the greaze zirks and give each one a shot. Tilt tube is one motor pivot housing will have some as well. General inspection of hoses and since you have no idea what oil or condition of resevoir is, drain it, clean it, and add whatever oil you prefer.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Preseason maintenance

Here's something that rarely gets checked. The swivel pin lower retaining ring under the lower mount yoke. Make sure it hasn't rusted out and fallen off. If the motor's a freshy then you probably won't have a problem but clean it up and give it a good coat of Merc 2-4-C.