Preparing to move from slip to trailer.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently purchased a boat that was stored in saltwater. I hauled it out on Friday and I'm working on cleaning it up. The pressure washer has done a pretty good job and I'm going to get the nooks and crannies this morning. I've at least tried to keep it wet as I had people over yesterday and couldn't quite finish up.

The boat currently has bottom paint obviously. I am no longer going to store the boat in a marina. My intention is to trailer this boat from now on. The outrdrive is quite a mess and I intend to brush it down today to get it cleaned up to see how much corrosion damage exists and to check out the drive overall. When I prep it for paint, what should I paint it with? I'm sure it was previously painted with an anti-fouling paint, but aren't these paints ineffective if the boat is stored primarily out of the water? This is the same question I have about the bottom paint on the boat and the outdrive.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Preparing to move from slip to trailer.

Think I would start with a pressure washer. take off everything possible except the original outdrive paint. When you get down to that stop. The dealer has the correct paint and primer.

wet sand the bottom and go easy. you may not need to paint. ( You can do this over weeks, months or years, Use the boat. Maybe a sanding party on a sand bar?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Be real careful messing with that bottom paint, that stuff is bad poison.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If removing the bottom paint with a pressure washer or scraper, try to catach or cantain most of the run off.

When you start getting down to the gel coat, you're goingto have to switch to a stripper, plastic scraper, or other mechanical aid. More than likely this is going to damage the gelcoat. You have a couple of options after this:

1) Take the boat to a boat repair faclity and have the hull re-gelcoated.
2) Have the hull prepped and painted with a paint formulated for fiberglass and gelcoat. My personal preference is AwlGrip.

I had my boat painted with AwlGrip and, aside from a new enclosure, it was the best money I ever spent on it. 90% of the dirt comes off with a garden hose. Miorn wash detail with a soft brush, and no waxing...ever.

Other options would be Petit topside paint or Imron. Talk to a few facilities and go with their recommendation. Have it done by a professional. You can do it yourself but any messup is big $$$

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Be real careful messing with that bottom paint, that stuff is bad poison.

Only if eaten on an empty stomach ... ;)

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I should knock off all of this nasty bottom paint with a pressure washer, THEN take it to a professional to regelcoat the entire hull? What if I don't mind it painted? Can I just paint the bottom a solid color?

What is the downside to just leaving it on there even though it's ugly?

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

This sounds like a really good idea. First step is knocking off all this old paint and containing it? Pressure I will see what the pressure washer can take off, but I'm guess not much. If taking it to someone to paint, would it be more practical to just take it to them and have them knock it all off too? I would imagine that a bottom paint service isn't horrificly expensive, but I could be wrong. I'm usually wrong.

$1500-$2000 for a 24' boat sound about right?

I have included some pictures of the bottom paint and of the outdrive. If it won't do any harm to just leave it on there, I'd love to do that :). The outdrive seems to be in pretty decent shape. I don't see any signs of obvious heavy corrosion, but I'm concerned at how many layers of paint there are (so many colors). Is it ideal to have these sandblasted? I would think the factory coating is best preserved it all possible right?DSCN2966.jpgDSCN2965.jpgDSCN2964.jpgDSCN2963.JPGDSCN2962.JPG

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't concern myself with the bottom paint. Concentrate your efforts and money on getting that outdrive (including the trim unit) cleaned/painted/servicable.