Preferred Decarb Brand

steve01

Cadet
We have a '75 Merc 1500, that to the best of our knowlage, has never been decarbed. I've heard of Powertune. Any others that may be better?<br /><br />Thanks

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Preferred Decarb Brand

Powertune's good juju. Napa has some stuff I think is called Seafoam. It's good stuff too.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

NathanY

Commander

I like Power Tune because of its easy use of spraying directly in the carb. YOu have 3 carbs and I have 1, there might be something better to use to get a more even decarbinazation. But I think that they are all about the same though.

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've always used Seafoam to decarb. You can get it at NAPA,O'Rieleys and Car Quest stores. Just spray it into the carb throat,let it sit for 20 minutes,then watch the smoke fly. You can repeat the process and if you get less smoke then your ready to go. Just make sure you clean or put new plugs in. I don't know about 3 cans but you can't really decarb too much I've been told. I do this twice a year just to be sure. By the way the spray made by Seafoam is called Deep Creep. Do a search here for decarb and you'll find info to read for weeks.<br /><br />Dutch

steve01

Cadet

Can these products be used with the boat in the water? How much mess in the water, or how much mess in the driveway? Thanks

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've used the Seafoam and it does do a good job of cleaning out carbon but it will surely make a mess in the driveway. I also mixed it double strength in a small portable tank and ran it through at the lake running at WOT, then switched to the main tank afterwards. That worked real well.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It can make a big mess on garage door or side of house. Best to park on the grass.

steve01

Cadet

Are these products environmentally unfiendly when used with the boat in the water?

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No more so than any other petroleum product when mixed with water. I'm sure it doesn't benefit the fish much, but I doubt if the small volume would even be worth consideration. I'm sure some people may think it would. <br /><br />www.StriperChaser.com

kart33

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Valvtech makes some good stuff also, they make decarb to spray in the throat instructions on the can, and also they make carbon free to add to your tank occasionally. Can be found at most boat stores Boaters World, West Marine. The best $8.00 I spend a year to spray it then another $8.00 for 60 gallons treatment.

EMEEKER

Recruit

StriperChaser<br /> Following the boards on seafoam most tech. types recommemd running at or below 2500 RPM. They feel you can over rev. or over temp. your engine. I run it in a sparetank and did not have it all burned out one time and it really rev. up on me. So I'M a believer now. Just a word of caution.

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Fishhawk, I ran it as hard as it would run up and down the lake watching the temp and RPM's. Did'nt have a problem other than better performance afterwards. Guess I was lucky.