Pre-Alpha shift cable R&R

BuzzM

Seaman
I have an 82 Mercruiser 5.7 with a pre-alpha drive. I am preparing to do the next reseal and in the process, have learned that I may need the following
special tools:
1. Engine alignment tool OEM 91-57797A3
2. Hinge pin removal tool OEM 91-78310
3. Lower shift cable tool OEM 91-12037
4. Shift bushing tool OEM 91-31107T
Are all of these really necessary ( I know the alignment tool is critical) and are
these part numbers accurate?
Have I missed anything other than the shift cable kit and transom reseal kit with all the bellows & gaskets?
thx
1982 Sunrunner 245 " Dad's Dawg House " - Lake Conore, TX

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pre-Alpha shift cable R&R

I have an 82 Mercruiser 5.7 with a pre-alpha drive. I am preparing to do the next reseal and in the process, have learned that I may need the following
special tools:
1. Engine alignment tool OEM 91-57797A3
2. Hinge pin removal tool OEM 91-78310
3. Lower shift cable tool OEM 91-12037
4. Shift bushing tool OEM 91-31107T
Are all of these really necessary ( I know the alignment tool is critical) and are
these part numbers accurate?
Have I missed anything other than the shift cable kit and transom reseal kit with all the bellows & gaskets?
thx
1982 Sunrunner 245 " Dad's Dawg House " - Lake Conore, TX
All of them can be fabricated if you have the wherewithal....
The alignment tool is a must, as well as the cable tool....
You can weld a nut on a deep 9/16" socket for that....
Just look at a picture of one....
A six point reverse socket will work for the hinge pins, I forget what size 'cuz I have the tool......
I don't see why you would need to have a shift bushing tool, that has nothing to do with r&r the cable or bellows....;)

ziggy

Admiral

lookin at service manual #4. looks like the shift cable threads intot the bellhouseing from the ft. the cable ya get now threads in from the back. a 1/4-18npt is what ya will need + a way to drive in down in a hole.

some exhust bellows expanders are pretty dandy too....

when ya say yer resealin it. what are ya thinking of R&Ring?

a service manual is very handy..."http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/sisdata/srvcovr.pdf"

ya can read this for an idea of what yer up to......."http://www.mercstuff.com/shiftcable1.htm"

BuzzM

Seaman

I recently had to have the bellows, gimbal bearing, shift cable job done after
only 2 1/2 years at a cost of $ 1100. The mechanic and I looked very closely at the shift & U-joint bellows after removal and never found a hole, tear, are anything. May have been a loose clamp or something. He was the same guy who did the previous job.
That is the 2nd time in about 7 years, so I think I need to learn how to do it to save $$. It is kept in a freshwater slip yearound.
I would think that since it has been done a couple of times in recent years, it has probably already been tapped for the shift cable retaining nut to be on the " outside " of the housing instead of the original place inside the boat.
My skills are basically auto based ( brakes, master cylinders, bearings, etc ). The only pasrt of the task that seems really challenging is the shift cable.
I am going to get a merc manual #6 off Ebay or something.
Thanks for the response.

Bondo

Staff member

I am going to get a merc manual #6 off Ebay or something.

Ayuh,........ Here's your Something,..............;)

If you can figure out how to navigate your way around a pdf. file,......
What you're looking for is in Here,....... Free.......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you need to convert your bellhousing from fwd entry cable to aft entry DO NOT use a standard pipe tap.
just say no.
merc sells the correct straight tap and they are avalible from many equipment supply houses.
other than that and the exhaust bellows installation tool its pretty straight forward.

ziggy

Admiral

if you need to convert your bellhousing from fwd entry cable to aft entry DO NOT use a standard pipe tap.
just say no.
merc sells the correct straight tap and they are avalible from many equipment supply houses.
i stand corrected. thanks rodbolt. i don't want to lead anyone astray.....

is this a correct tap to use? "http://www.mercstuff.com/shiftcable1.htm" #0016

BuzzM

Seaman

Thank you, guys....
I am assuming that since the boat yard mechanic installed the lower shift cable recently, it has to be the new style and therefore he or a predecessor
must have already tapped and converted the nut arrangement. But I guess I won't know for sure until I check it myself.
Thanks again. This forum is priceless because of everyone's unselfishness.
Safe boating.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the correct tap is a 1/4" NPTS, the s designates it as a straight tap not a standard tapered pipe tap.
the tap normally costs about 20 dollars or so.
follow the instructions in the correct manual very carefully or its actually possible to destroy a gimbal housing.
from merc the fwd entry cable hasnt been avalible for quite some time, I hear some aftermarket fwd entry cables are still avalible but I cant confirm it as I dont use them.