Powering a tri hull

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking for an OB to put on the back of an old 17 ft tri hull that weighs about 900 lbs dry. I have access to a nice running 55 hp Evinrude. I'm not looking for lots of speed this set-up will mainly be used for fishing. The boat is factory rated for up to 140 hp.
Anyone have a similar set-up and how do you or don't like it? This is just a cheap fishing rig nothing more.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Powering a tri hull

Rule of thumb power should be about 3/4 of the rated.
The 55 is pretty low but will do ok if propped right and you don't carry too much.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

55 hp would be ok for fishing and just cruising around. I don't believe it would pull a tube or skier. I had an 85 hp Chrysler on a 17 Ebko tri-hull this past summer and it screamed. Also, I used to have a 16' mark Twain tri-hull with a 40 hp Big twin and it would do 22 mph with just me. Add to buddies and I was down to about 15 to 16 mph.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. Yeah no tubing or skiing with this boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

those old 55's were good motors. you just have to decide for your own use whether the lack of the top end speed/power is worth it. Also, consider where you boat; an underpowered boat can be dangerous if you need the extra power to handle adverse current and weather.