powerboat simulator

diamonddave

Seaman
Does anyone know where I can find a powerboat simulator. I have been looking for this software for about 6 months now. I bought my current boat 30' Pacemaker sport fisherman in the fall and would like to practice on the simulator before spring launch.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer
Re: powerboat simulator

1) Go down to your friendly, local grocery store;<br />2) fill up a cart with canned goods and other heavy grocery items, and a large bag of dog food or kitty litter on the bottom shelf;<br />3) walk around to the FRONT of the cart (the end with the swivel wheels);<br />4) push hard and too fast. try to run the cart around isles and displays faster than you normally would.<br />5) if you have a lot of expensive meat in the cart, you'll have a lot of boating/docking experience before the store management gets up enough nerve to throw you out.<br />If you still need more experience, go to another store and repeat. Not sure how many grocery stores there are in your town, but 3 or 4 should give you good practice. You might notify the local mental health group in advance: saves time and bail money.<br />This actually is good advise! :cool:

sloopy

Commander

ahhh.. I know of some sailing simulators

diamonddave

Seaman

Capn Mike I get most of that except for the part about the expensive meat, please explain. Also, I think you misunderstood I have plenty of experience handling boats, I just want to fool around with this simulator to get me through the next 2 1/2 months till the boats go back in the water. Once again I love the analogy about the shopping cart, keep up the good work, I love this site

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

The expensive meat is so that the store managment will think you're a big customer and won't throw you out as soon as they would if you were a wretch buying only cheap beer and Fritos.<br />If you add brie cheese and some nice wines, you may also be able to pick up some cute chicks....<br />I suppose it won't make you feel any better to know that I'm putting my boat in the water tomorrow? It's warm (56) and wet here...lots of rain. If you're in Hamilton, Ontario, expect a ton of snow in about 4-5 days.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Larry....that was cool !!! Nice link.<br /><br />It took me 7 tries before I made it.<br /><br />If you want to laugh set wind and current very high....it's uncontrollable

dansoph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i tried that simulator, but nothing came up. did i do something wrong?

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You need to have Java installed in order to get it to display..<br /><br />if you have a PC, then go to http://sun.com and download the Java runtime enviroment app and install it..<br /><br />if you have WebTV or similiar, give up now.. i don't know how to get it running on there.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Frank, how many times di you crash ??? :D

diamonddave

Seaman

Capn Mike, I gotta say it makes me kinda angry that you're putting your boat in the water and mine is still on the hard, however it did go up to 0 today so I climbed aboard and took some photos and measurements for a couple of projects I need to do in the spring and it was almost like I was on the water. We've just come out of a deep freeze and the balmy temps were welcome.<br /><br />Regards

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Put in this last weekend; the weather was sunny and nice (55), but the water was high and brown. Pac NW had some big rains last week, and the tributaries are still pumping mud and large trees into the river.<br />So....no fishing. Was sure nice to get out, though. Hope you all have a good year too.

diamonddave

Seaman

Capn Mike,<br />I got it up to 50 degrees F. after the heater was on for 2 hours in the boat under shrink wrap on Sunday, I Hate you right now, temp was 6 this AM dropped to -1000 this afternoon. Right now I've got 2 1/2 months till launch, seems like a looooong time right now, so I plan my mods and waxing and bottom paint etc,. . . It'll be over before I know it.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Diamonddave

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Val, with 0 wind and 0 tide, it took me three attempts before I got it in the most obscure berth...<br /><br />Most of that three times was because the arrow keys on a keyboard are not much like a wheel and throttle...<br /><br />who knows, for a kick one day.. I might make myself a PC boat simulator that has a wheel and throttle.. and then write a GUI boat sim...<br />(I imagine that a few mods to a car sim controller would do the trick.)<br /><br />That would be kinda fun.. not enough time at the moment though...<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Dave, my regrets. Don't hate me! I'm sure Hamilton is nice in the summer!<br />Incidentally, my wife is nuts about train travel, so we're taking Via Rail from the other Vancouver (BC) to Toronto, then Quebec City next Oct-Nov (I said I wouldn't go until salmon season is over). So maybe we'll get a chance to view your fair city then.<br />Frank, when you make that simulator, you'll be doing all of us a favor. Maybe use the mouse for a control?

diamonddave

Seaman

Capn Mike,<br />Your wife has good taste, it's beautiful around here in the fall. Drop me a line when you're coming, maybe we can swap boating stories over a cool refreshment. dsp@ispnet2000.com.<br /><br />Regards

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Dave, if we get a chance, I'll certainly do so. Andy, I can't get more than 5 tugs. Am I a failure? :rolleyes:

Scooby

Seaman

It took me a few tries but I managed to sink six tugs and they gave me the job. That was pretty funny.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I got it!!! :)<br /><br />See here:<br /><br />
boat-winner.jpg
<br /><br />That means I can crash a ship with the best of them... :)<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank