Power trim unit removal 97 oceanpro lower pin stuck

capt.rick

Cadet
I have a 1997 evinrude oceanpro 225 outboard
My unit has been acting up its not locking, so when I place it in reverse it wants to come out of water and dose the jumping as it comes down from tilt and fine at trim. So I just happen to have a spare unit I have had in storage. I took a punch and a ball peen hammer and knocked the upper and lower pins out and removed the unit off the boat. Easy so far. The spare unit I have had in storage has the lower pin still in it. So I tried to knock it out, press it out. I think there may be a pin or set screw in the bottom support pin? Any ideas. I looked in the shop OMC manual that they use in Omc School. Says very little.
Thanks for any help

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power trim unit removal 97 oceanpro lower pin stuck

If it came out of salt water it's probably just plain froze. There are no pins or set screws that I know of that hold it Try PB Blaster, heat and patience and you'll probably get it out.

capt.rick

Cadet
Re: Power trim unit removal 97 oceanpro lower pin stuck

I had it on a heavy hyd press today, took a look at old one just now and it appears it have a small hole under unit center of the pin. I got it soaking in a heavy duty blaster industrial style. I will let you know how it works out

Thanks