Power Trim/Tilt Park Position

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Everyone,
What would be a good position to trim/tilt the motor when the boat is parked for a long period of time. Should I trim/tilt it on the way up like when I trailer it so the pressure could be released? I just wanted to know what would be a proper position so the power trim/tilt can have a longer life. Many thanks in advance! - Anthony

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power Trim/Tilt Park Position

It is not a question of trim life: If you live where weather gets below freezing, it is best to store it vertically. All the water will drain out of the block and any rain that gets behind the prop will also run out. Tilted up, this rain can freeze and crack the lower unit housing.

RRitt

Captain

all you need for trim life is to run the engine down to a stop or bracket in order to release internal pressure. It does not matter what angle. You want the last motion of the system to be a quick push of the down button and then you are okay.

RRitt

Captain

actually, i need to update this as regards the trim. If you live in an area where there are hard freezes and you are storing for winter then you want to tilt up and then bump down onto blocks so that the prop is just above the waterline. The single ram systems in use on various outboards since mid 1980's often get water inside and can burst on a hard freeze. There is an internal bypass to avoid engine overheating but it is not activated until the prop is at or above the waterline. So if you have single ram and live in an area of hard winter freezes then block the prop above waterline for winter storage.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Most manufacturers say not to trailer the motor while on the up bracket....just to begin. You can use a redneck transom saver (2x4) or buy a fancy transom saver..many of them have a hard time fitting the boat/motor combination properly.
But while at rest or parked for some time, I also feel it should be trimmed all the way down..