Power trim/tilt needs tapping to go up/down

Gavaletz

Recruit
I have an '89 60 hp Evinrude (TE60TLCEA) with power trim & tilt on a pontoon boat. I've determined that the trim/tilt motor works, only if I "tap" it. I'm guessing that something may be seizing up (hydraulic pump, motor), but not sure what to replace to fix the problem. I can power tilt/trim the engine up, but whenever I stop, I need to tap the motor to get it going again. Same thing on the way down. Your help is appreciated. - AJ

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power trim/tilt needs tapping to go up/down

AJ.... The usual cause of that problem is that the armature is dirty at the brush contact area, or the brushes are worn and sticking.<br /><br />In either case, it will be necessary to remove, dismantle, and inspect the electric motor components.

walleyehed

Admiral

You have bad brushes possibly causing a burnt spot on the comutator end. If you know what you are doing, you can clean it up and install new brushes. If you do, make sure there are no dis-colored windings first...If there are, I'd suggest a replacement motor.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

first thing i would do before you start tearing it down is check your grounds on the batt. going to the solinoid corrosion or loose connections cause a lot of t/t problems.

walleyehed

Admiral

Joe, I apologize...we must have been typing together...I'm a slow typer I guess. I didn't notice the post until now, and didn't mean to double up.

Gavaletz

Recruit

You guys rock! Joe - it was exactly as you said. I pulled off the motor and the commutator was black from the brushes. Also it looked like one of the brushes was stuck (a little rusty inside). Two minutes with a dremel brush and problem fixed. Thanks!