Power trim/tilt motor rusted out

thresher15

Cadet
1996 Johnson Ocean Runner 150 EXED

Well, my 1996 power trim/tilt motor finally rusted all the way through. Only the motor seems to be affected the rest of the assembly looks to be in good shape with very little rust. My question is do you think the intrusion of salt water damage will be limited to the motor therefore allowing me to replace it only or will the damage be more thorough? Could it be as simple as taking the motor off and replacing it (and draining the old fluid). I have the shop manual and some mechanical ablitiy (I do most of the maintenance and repairs), do you think this is something best left to the pros? Also what might a new trim motor run me? I know there are a ton of variables here but any input is greatly appreciated!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power trim/tilt motor rusted out

The electric motor is sealed off from the hydraulic section via a seal that surrounds the electric motor's armature. If there is no hydraulic fluid within the electric motor, there would be no water in the hydraulic section.

It would simply be a case of replacing the electric motor.

thresher15

Cadet
Re: Power trim/tilt motor rusted out

Well that sounds promising ;) What does anyone think about putting about 5 more hours on it before I can fix it?