Power trim not working just clicks.

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have this what appears to be an early 90s Mariner 40hp 4 cylinder magnum and the power trim doesn’t work. I replaced both relays and still nothing. When I press the up and down button I can hear and feel the relays click. One of them clicks when I press the up button and vice versa. Is there a way to bypass the electrical and directly test the motor to to see if it’s bad? If so let me know thank you. IMG_5419.png

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sure, the PTT motor is connected to the relays or solenoids, whichever you have. relays use a 2 wire PTT motor and solenoids use a 3 wire PTT motor. Trace the wires from the PTT motor up and into the cowling. Disconnect the two (blue, green) or three (blue green, black) wires and put a battery across them.

For two wire systems, put positive on one wire and negative on the other. The PTT motor if good will run up and then down, when you switch the wires on the battery.

For three wire system put negative battery post on the black wire and connect the positive to first the blue and then the green wires. The PTT motor will run up with the blue wire connected and down with the green wire connected.

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sure, the PTT motor is connected to the relays or solenoids, whichever you have. relays use a 2 wire PTT motor and solenoids use a 3 wire PTT motor. Trace the wires from the PTT motor up and into the cowling. Disconnect the two (blue, green) or three (blue green, black) wires and put a battery across them.

For two wire systems, put positive on one wire and negative on the other. The PTT motor if good will run up and then down, when you switch the wires on the battery.

For three wire system put negative battery post on the black wire and connect the positive to first the blue and then the green wires. The PTT motor will run up with the blue wire connected and down with the green wire connected.
Thank you

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Just so you know, PTT motors do fail. I have had them corrode thru the body. If you do need to replace it, and it is a 2 wire motor, you should have no issues.

However, if you want to replace a 3 wire motor, you either need to find a 3 wire PTT motor replacement, or upgrade the whole system to a 2 wire.

Replacement 2 wire PTT motors can come with the necessary relays and wiring harness, so watch out for that, as you will need them.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Once you get through the PTT problem, you might consider a prop repair or replacement......considering what I see in the picture.

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have the 2 wire system and I hooked my jumper cables up to my charged battery and then attached the positive to the blue and negative to the green and vice versa and got nothing. No noises or anything. I feel like something isn’t right. Wouldn’t it make atleast some kind of noise even if the motor was shot?

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The motor lives in the water. They have a hard life. I have never had a relay or solenoid fail, but have replaced several PTT motors.

It is time to pull the PTT motor and see if it will come apart. Not sure what parts are replaceable. Save any seals that come out.

My V6 Merc needs to have the starboard transom clamp removed to get the PTT motor out. I usually stick a wooden wedge under the triple clamp-to-transom joint to support the weight of the motor, before I remove the stb transom clamp.

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The motor lives in the water. They have a hard life. I have never had a relay or solenoid fail, but have replaced several PTT motors.

It is time to pull the PTT motor and see if it will come apart. Not sure what parts are replaceable. Save any seals that come out.

My V6 Merc needs to have the starboard transom clamp removed to get the PTT motor out. I usually stick a wooden wedge under the triple clamp-to-transom joint to support the weight of the motor, before I remove the stb transom clamp.
I’m gonna take a guess and say the motor isn’t supposed to look like this? lol

Attachments

• filtered-C2324249-50ED-4B92-B64C-1294219B58A6.mp4
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It looks like you have an overload (bi-metal circuit breaker) on that motor (picture 1/2). You might check it to see if it is open due to some rust or dirt. The rest of the motor doesn't look too bad, however, I cannot see if the armature or field is open.

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It looks like you have an overload (bi-metal circuit breaker) on that motor (picture 1/2). You might check it to see if it is open due to some rust or dirt. The rest of the motor doesn't look too bad, however, I cannot see if the armature or field is open.
Which pictures? And what does that mean?

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Specifically what do you mean check to see if it’s open?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The bottom left picture of the armature, on the bottom, next to the brushes, there is a circuit breaker. It is usually constructed with two different metals, that expand different amounts. That causes the contact to bend when it gets hot, opening the points.

Make sure it is making contact, or the motor will not get any electricity.

Kranjack20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The bottom left picture of the armature, on the bottom, next to the brushes, there is a circuit breaker. It is usually constructed with two different metals, that expand different amounts. That causes the contact to bend when it gets hot, opening the points.

Make sure it is making contact, or the motor will not get any electricity.
I just put a $50 amazon motor in it and it works good now.