Power Trim Hose Replacement $$$$$$ Really?

Jake007

Seaman
I have a Volvo Penta I/O on a 5.0L 1998 Cobalt.
I had some milk in my trim fluid so I opened the nut on the hose at the top connection on the port side outdrive unit. The fluid was milky so I drained and refilled. The Starbord side connection did not want to budge with my basic craftsman wrenches. I brought her in to have the Pros do a proper drain, inspect for cause of leak, and refill.

Diagnosis: It was found that one of the hoses on the starbord side that connects from the drive to the back of the boat had some seepage at the top connector from what appears to be the area where the hose is crimped.

The estimate to replace two hoses was $600 and 4 hoses $675 with a possible manifold adder of $240 if it strips out when removing the hoses. WOW>>>>>....

Quest 1: Is it worth using marine goop or some similar product to try to seal the small seepage on the one hose and buy me another year or two?

Quest 2: Is this job really that big for a shop with experience (obviously it is too big for me or I would have already fixed it) ? Get a second opinion?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Power Trim Hose Replacement $$$$$$ Really?

Ayuh,... #1,.. There ain't no goop that'll hold up against 1500psi, so, Nope...

#2,.. I don't do Volvo, so I can't say...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Power Trim Hose Replacement $$$$$$ Really?

The estimate to replace two hoses was $600 and 4 hoses $675 with a possible manifold adder of $240 if it strips out when removing the hoses. WOW>>>>>....

Was your boat ever used in salt water? if the answer is yes, then that estimate sounds about right. The hoses are only $30 to $70 each. The fittings get locked solid in the manifold and the trim cylinders from salt water corrosion. So, you could end up buying 2 trim cylinders if the hoses don't come loose from them either. The threads usually pull out of the cylinders too.
it may also require pulling the engine out, depending on access, in order to get that manifold out of the transom shield.
The big problem is, there is no way to get a wrench on the lines on the outside. Even after pulling the drive, pivot housing, and bellows.
It's the same exact system OMC was using on the Cobras when Volvo bought them out.