power tilt and trim problems

1979 johnson 85hp<br />while my father was on the lake last week he said the motor tilted up and he could not get it down i check and released pressure to get the motor to drop and i checked switch and no matter what direction up or down the switch was pushed the motor would raise i purchased a new relay and same thing i checked all wiring for shorts and noting can anyone help

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: power tilt and trim problems

Sounds like the wiring in the top of the unit may have shorted where all the power is going to the up side no matter which switch is pushed make sure to check the fluid it could be air locked.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the switch is defective or as was said, it could be the wiring. You will just have to narrow it down..

yes i checked all wiring and there is no short between leads would low fluid cause it to raise even if i press the down button on tilt and thanks very much for any help

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check your relays. 1 for up and 1 for down.

first i'd just like to say wow this forums gets results and gets them fast ok now back to boat on boat there was only one relay located on underside by gas tanks it is a 4 post (2 big) (2 small) and it has been replaced,switch in throtle has been checked,wiring from switch to relay has no shorts,wiring from relay to pump motor has no shorts, thanks again you guys are great

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

How did you check the switch? Do you have a switch on the motor, also? Have you tried swapping the leads at the tilt motor directly with the wires disconnected?