Power tilt and trim only works down

Peter O

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Finally picked up my new used boat Friday night after 8 months of searching and getting lots of advice from the great people on this board It's a '96 Vanguard Baretta with a '96 70hp Johnson. When the seller was showing me the boat, he used the power trim located on the motor. Saturday when I checked the boat over again, I used the power tilt & trim located on the throttle (I think that's what it's called). Anyway, the tilt works on the way down only but will not bring it back up. I have to use the switch on the motor. Any idea how complicated this might be to fix? Where do I start looking? Thanks

Trent

Captain
Re: Power tilt and trim only works down

Take apart the switch at the helm and clean. Wiring is possible, but I would clean the switch first.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't know if your switch is like this, but it probably is..<br /><br />It may have three connections at the bottom, <br /><br />The middle one will be the power, on either side of that will be up and down..<br /><br />get a small piece of wire, and touch the middle wire to one of the outer wires, it should go up or down, (depending on which outer wire you connected to.) then try the other one.. it should do the opposite.<br /><br />If it does, then your switch is bad/dirty etc..<br /><br />if it doesn't, then you have a wiring problem and its time to get out a multimeter or testlight and go looking for it.<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't know if your switch is like this, but it probably is..<br /><br />It may have three connections at the bottom, <br /><br />The middle one will be the power, on either side of that will be up and down..<br /><br />get a small piece of wire, and touch the middle wire to one of the outer wires, it should go up or down, (depending on which outer wire you connected to.) then try the other one.. it should do the opposite.<br /><br />If it does, then your switch is bad/dirty etc..<br /><br />if it doesn't, then you have a wiring problem and its time to get out a multimeter or testlight and go looking for it.<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank

Peter O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. It sounds easy if its dirty. I will check it out next visit to the lake and may have to get back to you for more info.