Power Steering Fluid...missing.

mrainey889

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings fellow boaters,

My 1990 Rinker (4.3 Merc, Alpha I Gen I, 18' Open Bow) has decided to start eating power steering fluid. This problem actually started last year when I had bunch of noise (more like strong vibrations) coming from the engine/outdrive area when trimmed fully up and turning, such as right when launching or trailering the boat. Last year when this vibration happened I found the power steering resevoir empty, so I refilled it with power steering fluid and life was good, no bad vibrations (no pun intended, hopefully the Beach Boys won't sue me) for the rest of the summer...probably a good 20-25 hours of boating.

First launch this year I had the same vibration/noise from the back so I checked the power steering fluid level and sure enough it was bone dry. Filled her back up, vibs went away, and everything seemed good again.

Unfortunately, and not entirely unexpected, the leak apparently has become worse. Before the end of the day I was low on fluid again. Obviously a major change for only having to add fluid once last year.

What I can not figure out is where the fluid is going. I would think at this point if it was leaking from the pump or a hose I would have quite the mess somewhere in the engine compartment or rear of the boat. I can find no such mess. So, I figure the fluid is leaking in to the lake somehow. What I do not understand is...where? I don't think the hydraulic fluid for the outdrive pistons is in common with the power steering is it? That was the only culprit I could think of...

My bilge is clean and oil free, which I would not expect if power steering fluid was leaking in to it...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Power Steering Fluid...missing.

Ayuh,.....

My 1st Guess is,...
The P/Steering Cooler wasn't drained, it Froze,+ Now it's Leaking internally.....

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

thats about the only way for it to get to the lake without going through the bilge.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

If there is no tranny fluid in the bilge I woudn't even bother diagnosing by pulling and pressure testing....
as stated abvove, your power steering cooler is toast.
Remove and replace.

mrainey889

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

I have reached the conclusion I need to take the POS Clymers manual I purchased for my boat three years ago and burn it. I would sink it to the bottom of the resevoir if I didn't think I would get arrested for polluting.

I just rechecked, absolutely no mention whatsoever of draining a power steering cooler in the laying up (winterization) chapter.

Unbelieveable.

I have no doubt what you all described is my problem. I have personally winterized my boat the last three winters and never once even looked at the power steering cooler while draining the engine. Didn't even know my boat had one. I suppose the good news is it looks like I can get a new one for under a $100...as mistakes go I have certainly had worse.

That said, any recommendations for a new repair/maintanence manual? I have heard www.seloc.com is decent, but would love to hear from someone who has actually had good luck with it.

Thanks again,

Mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That said, any recommendations for a new repair/maintanence manual? I have heard www.seloc.com is decent, but would love to hear from someone who has actually had good luck with it.

Why don't you save yourself all the money you want to spend on aftermarket manuals and buy the real thing. The OEM service manual.? Trust me, Seloc can't put 4000 pages of Merc OEM manuals into 1 manual with only 4 to 500 pages without leaving out a couple of minor things.