Power Steering Actuator Part

jrisebo

Seaman
Couple issues, trying to get my Actuator out, and the bottom bolt is not wanting to come out. Any special tricks? I have about 2" all aorund it to work.

Second, the model number of my outdrives is 3868844, DP. Im having trouble finding the VP part number for the actuator. Thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Couple issues, trying to get my Actuator out, and the bottom bolt is not wanting to come out. Any special tricks? I have about 2" all aorund it to work.

Second, the model number of my outdrives is 3868844, DP. Im having trouble finding the VP part number for the actuator. Thoughts?
Ayuh,..... Did you flatten out the locking tab around the bolt,.....
It's a right-handed bolt, but upside-down, so make sure you turn it the right way,...
'n while it's in a tight spot, figure out a way to get better leverage on it,....

I donno which actuator ya got, but I believe they've only ever used one of two,.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
VP like OMC used 2 big cotter pins instead of the locking plate used by Merc. It took removing the rear seats, all the engine compartment wood work and exhaust on both sides to remove mine. The worst parts of that job were getting the cotter pins out and the steering cable cotter pin. Stainless pins in that alu housing. I used a cotter pin puller & various implements of destruction on that job. Just be careful you don’t want to break that inner transom plate! I recall someone having that misfortune. I used alu cotter pins coated in OMC triple guard grease & each season I spray that area with Corrosion X. The job from hades, it was…..
As Bondo pointed out the bolts face opposite directions so remember that. I think I used a ratcheting box end flex wrench to get the bottom one off….

jrisebo

Seaman
Thanks, yea I broke the cotter pin, so I have to get some vice grips on it. I have twin engines, its sitting directly behind the starboard engine. I also have the outdrive trim motor and reservoir in the way. I think removing that will give me access.

Im still not 100% on the part, my model is SX-M so I think its a 21910902 actuator part.

I was thinking a breaker bar and get my foot on it to break the lower bolt loose, might invest in a flex end ratcheting wrench too, just in case.

Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure whatever you do to just get a straight pull on it…on my Cobra when I did that job it was 33 years old. Once I got the cotter pins out the bolts came out easily.
Thinking back for the bottom one the issue was the top of the Y pipe was slightly in the way. It’s REALLY nice to have working power steering with no leaks.

jrisebo

Seaman
Thanks. The top bolt I hit with an impact, broke the Locktite loose easily. Bottom one is manual and not alot of room.

Im twin engines so its right behind the starboard engine, and next to the outdrive trim pump.

jrisebo

Seaman
Ayuh,..... Did you flatten out the locking tab around the bolt,.....
It's a right-handed bolt, but upside-down, so make sure you turn it the right way,...
'n while it's in a tight spot, figure out a way to get better leverage on it,....

I donno which actuator ya got, but I believe they've only ever used one of two,.....
No locking tab, just a cotter pin, which broke. So I have to get it out first.

Im confident on the actuator now, part 21910902

jrisebo

Seaman
Update:
So after 2 weekend trips, I got the part replaced. It works, but is still tight. I noticed that the fittings from my old one and new one were backwards.
(I have a image, but cant upload here for some reason)
Basically the old one has big fitting left, small right. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4nsAAOSwUp5kCNJz/s-l1600.webp
New one is opposite https://www.myinboardmarine.com/cdn/shop/products/21910902_b_1024x1024.jpg?v=1579535359

Should that matter?
My next step is to investigate the pump.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Thanks. The top bolt I hit with an impact, broke the Locktite loose easily. Bottom one is manual and not alot of room.

Im twin engines so its right behind the starboard engine, and next to the outdrive trim pump.
ah you have my sympathy, my bolts didn't have locktite, in fact I coated them with OMC triple guard grease, just in case I have to do that hateful job again.
can't say about the reversed fittings, have you looked at Volvo parts diagrams for your engine model #? might be one way to tell....

jrisebo

Seaman
ah you have my sympathy, my bolts didn't have locktite, in fact I coated them with OMC triple guard grease, just in case I have to do that hateful job again.
can't say about the reversed fittings, have you looked at Volvo parts diagrams for your engine model #? might be one way to tell....
Im not 100% sure where to find the diagram. I have SX-M model outdrive system, so went off those.
I dont see any other part that would fit, other than the one I have. On Ebay, most are like the new one, a select few are like my old one. I think its not a true VP part to begin with.

Bondo

Staff member
I think its not a true VP part to begin with.

Ayuh,.... Merc, 'n Volvo both use the same actuator,.....

I believe both of those adapters screw into a 1/4" pipe hole, so they may well be swappable,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Im not 100% sure where to find the diagram. I have SX-M model outdrive system, so went off those.
I dont see any other part that would fit, other than the one I have. On Ebay, most are like the new one, a select few are like my old one. I think its not a true VP part to begin with.
There is a Volvo online parts catalog that is part of this site I think. You plug in your engine model # and then look for individual sections.

jrisebo

Seaman
Ayuh,.... Merc, 'n Volvo both use the same actuator,.....

I believe both of those adapters screw into a 1/4" pipe hole, so they may well be swappable,....
They are two different sizes even taking out the adaptors.

jrisebo

Seaman
There is a Volvo online parts catalog that is part of this site I think. You plug in your engine model # and then look for individual sections.
Best I can see its what I bought is correct. The old one is just.......backwards.

Question is, does it matter? and why are they different.