Power Steering 101

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice
The power steering has gone out on my boat ('93 24' Baja Outlaw w/502 mag) and in doing a bit of searching on the net, I've come across a few things that seem to differ from the standard auto system and consequently have me thoroughly confused.<br /><br />My engine has a ps pump that looks very much like the automotive type - are they the same or is there a special marine variety? Also, I saw a lot of references to a power steering oil cooler. What is that and how does it work?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power Steering 101

Ruf - I believe the majority of the components are the same. The pump is the same as an automotive, but the steering box is made for the straight cylinder steering (vs rack and pinon). The PS cooler (raw water cooled) is located on the cold water intake hose (port side of motor on my mercruiser), below the block. Also, they use standard PS hoses with unique bends in the metal ends. The only problem I have had was the metal ends of the hoses rusted out ($125 part) and the steering rod (not the cable) froze in the steering box. A little heat and a little penetrating oil, and it was good as new. Mercruiser Special Lubricant 101 is supposed to be used on this rod, to keep it from freezing.<br /><br />You will need to be more specific as to your problem, or I cannot help further (assuming this was a help).

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Power Steering 101

Thanks for the info - guess I got a little wound up for nothing. My mech called and said that when the previous guy changed the engine coupler they set the engine in a way that had the hose pinched. Mechanic says the hose is okay, though and works now. At least I dodged this bullet...<br /><br />I do appreciate the knowledge, though - I'm a boat newbie (but feel like I'm fast becoming an expert because of all the problems I've had) and every little bit helps!