Power Pro Braid Life ?????

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
Spooled up 2 salt water outfits last fall with PP 30lb. I spin & 1 conventional. Only had about 3 trips with rods. boat was not running & missed spring striper run. They were washed down with fresh water after each trip. Went down today to check knots for upcomming trip & was able to break line seemingly, to me too easily. tied line to scale and it was breaking at approximately 20 lbs. What is shelf life of braided line? Rods were stored in basement hanging from ceiling. I have used PP on my fresh water gear but naturally Stripers are a bigger animal (hopefully) and I don't want to lose a fish to bad line. Both lines were bought at same time. PP 30lb green 150 yd pack. I have to respool but not sure if the PP is worth it. any thoughts from the users out there?
Thanks & good luck to all !!!!

BUDDY123

Seaman
Re: Power Pro Braid Life ?????

Drop the manu a short e-mail, might want the product back or do an exchange for you. Never had a problem with braided in fresh, but dont fish salt.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It will normally last for at least several years, in fact I have never changed any that aged and broke too easily.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I have heard that salt crystallizes in the PowerPro and abrades it.

What I do with my saltwater-use PowerPro is, twice a year or so I'll unspool the top 75 yards or so by hand into a bucket of clean hose water, then rewind it onto the spool. I believe that removes the salt.

My PowerPro's been OK for about 5 years treating it that way.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I've never had a problem.I use it on my morning stalk rod.And all my deep water 4/0 Penns and my Shimano Levelwinds.
I've only been using it for 3 years but no problem.J

offshore2

Cadet

I've had mine for 3 years and still strong as new and I fish saltwater

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

For whatever reason, #30 Power Pro is notorious for mystery breaks. Most the guys I fish with gave up on PP and went to Sufix or Tuff Line XP in that line class.

When trolling, most still use #65 or #80 Power Pro. I have 16 trolling rods setup for trolling Stripers using both #65 and # 80 Power Pro and have never had a problem. Some of line is going on its 6th season, most at least 3years.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use 50lb, 80lb & 100lb Power Pro line on my offshore reels.
Several of my reels have 8 year old line with no mystery breaks to date.

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use it for 2 years before changing....after the first year I will tie onto another reel and spool it backwards onto the other rod...that way I have fresh line the next year ... but, I have larger offshore equipment that holds a lot of line ... I do this because I have had the same problem with power pro in lighter weight line ... doesn't seem to be as bad with the heavier (#50lb and up ) line ... always good to keep checking your equipment

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

For whatever reason, #30 Power Pro is notorious for mystery breaks. Most the guys I fish with gave up on PP and went to Sufix or Tuff Line XP in that line class.

When trolling, most still use #65 or #80 Power Pro. I have 16 trolling rods setup for trolling Stripers using both #65 and # 80 Power Pro and have never had a problem. Some of line is going on its 6th season, most at least 3years.

I have my inshore reels spooled with PP #15 & #20 and had similiar issues, it can happen shortly after being spooled as I tend to change line out alot. It seems to be inconsistent and for no obvious reason, the real downer is that I prefer how it casts over most of the other braids on the market.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting. I wonder if there are good "batches" and bad batches of line? Where is PP made? I'll go look at one of my packages. I've been using 80lb PP for Pacific Halibut fishing offshore. This year I'm going to 150lb PP just to beef it up a bit. Haven't had aging issues with the stuff yet but I know people in my area who have, and change it out about every 3 years.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

I have pp on all my reels. When the wide spools run low, I transfer whats left to the smaller spools that are low - I've been using it since it came out - its great. My brother has it on all his 20+ outfits - he loves it! It cuts easily on underwater obstructions, so it is best to use some leader.

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Lyle, I usually change mine out every two years depending on how much I use it. I use 50# PP and I have noticed this issue. To me its not a big deal, I usually change the line out on all my reels every couple years anyway, we have short fishing seasons and line retains the memory from sitting on the spools for months at a time.