Power Pack on Mercury 150

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice
1996 Mercury 150 black max
Serial # 0G181260
Model # 1150413RD

At cruising speed:
Can the power pack abruptly kill the engine and immediatly start back up? Run for a while and abruptly stop again?

Help!

Laddies

Banned
Re: Power Pack on Mercury 150

Probably not inless it's a bad bias in 1 of the switch boxes, that will almost have to be tested with a DVA to find the trouble, you might try to remove the kill wire (blk/yellow) from the boxes first and running it to see if the problem is in the kill circurt
Mercury has switch boxes and early Rudes had power packsd:)

gss036

Commander

Check for corrision inside the large bayonet type fitting where the wiring harness connects to the engine. It is tucked in a recess on the lower starboard side of the engine. Just pull it apart and clean it up and spray w/some type anticorrision spray. I had mine arc across and burn the connections. It is just something that you never think of doing on normal maintence.

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice

Laddies said:
Probably not inless it's a bad bias in 1 of the switch boxes, that will almost have to be tested with a DVA to find the trouble, you might try to remove the kill wire (blk/yellow) from the boxes first and running it to see if the problem is in the kill circurt
Mercury has switch boxes and early Rudes had power packsd:)

Thank you,

I looked all over for a black/yellow but I cannot find it. Can you tell me where it is?
Thank you

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice

gss036 said:
Check for corrision inside the large bayonet type fitting where the wiring harness connects to the engine. It is tucked in a recess on the lower starboard side of the engine. Just pull it apart and clean it up and spray w/some type anticorrision spray. I had mine arc across and burn the connections. It is just something that you never think of doing on normal maintence.

Thank you, I will try and let you know.

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice

pts said:
gss036 said:
The connections looked really clean with no corrosion but
Removed the fitting, cleaned it and sprayed anti corrosion spray and re connected. Thank you, Every little thing helps.

Thank you, I will try and let you know.

Laddies

Banned

There on the end of the boxes that have 4 terminals second wire from the end you will have to see which end and be sure to remove them from both boxes

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice

Laddies said:
There on the end of the boxes that have 4 terminals second wire from the end you will have to see which end and be sure to remove them from both boxes

Found them, black with yellow stripe.
Do I just remove them both? tape the ends and that's it?

Laddies

Banned

Yes, you don't even have to tape them as they are ground off wires, if you ever find one with voltage on it, it will fry the boxes

tsgarbi

Seaman Apprentice

Laddies said:
Yes, you don't even have to tape them as they are ground off wires, if you ever find one with voltage on it, it will fry the boxes

Thank you very much
I will take the boat out this weekend and give you an update