power pack on 175 johnson

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1989 Johnson 175 and when I run it for a while then shut it off, it won't start again untill after it cools down almost all the way. Also, it's hard to start in normal weather. Could my S.L.O.W. sensor be bad? I was told it could be the power pack and it sounds like an overheating problem. How can I test to see if the power pack is bad? Thanks for any help.

tahammes

Seaman
Re: power pack on 175 johnson

Dragula,<br />Check your spark plugs. If they are wet or fouled on one side chances are the pack on that side could be bad. I had a similar on my 150 Evinrude. All I did was switch the packs from one side to the other. Run again and recheck the plugs if the wet or fouled are on the side you moved the pack to then it's probably bad. I replaced my bad pack they cost about $120 Hope that helps you. Also ask Joe Reeves he is an OMC tech who post on here alot

tahammes

Seaman

Dragula,<br /> Being that your engine is a 1989 I don't think It has a SLOW sensor on it. I think that was what new when they came out with the Faststrike. Keep me posted

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Todd,<br />As far as I can tell, I only have one pack. It's on the starboard side of the motor towards the front. It looks a lot like a box with two points coming out of the top of it. Is there any other way I can tell if it's bad using a multimeter?

tahammes

Seaman

Dragula,<br /> My Evinrude XP150 is a 1986 model and It has 2 power packs. I'm sure yours does also. On the port side just ahead of the cylinders it should be there. It is a little more difficult to get to than the one on the starboard side. As far as checking with a multimeter I'm not sure. I'm not very good when it involves electrical problems. Do you have a manual? If so it will show you in where it is. Keep me posted

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Todd, I'll check it tonight. I can't remember if it has one on the port side. I called a dealership and he said they might have switched to one pack that year. I just don't want to be throwing money at the wrong problem.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Your engine has but a single power pak, if it has a 35 amp charging system, it also has "SLOW". The only way To trouble shoot this system, you need to measure trigger voltage, charge coil voltage, ans power pak output. It takes a peak reading volt meter to do that. If your engine has the 35 amp system, and was going into SLOW, it would not go beyond 2500rpm, and sound very rough. To trouble shoot, you have to start at the beginning with the proper test euipment. This does not make it easy for the person who want's to do there own work. A peak reading volt meter can be pricey for only occasional use.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NOw, when I got it started, it would run real rough, and shut off. But when I got it to idle smooth, I put in gear, then shuts off. Get it going in gear and back the throttle off, it shut off. But after it finally warmed up, it would idle fine. Am I grasping at straws or is it just cold when this happened?

martygry7162

Petty Officer 2nd Class

<br />i hope this shows up but if it don't it's called an inline ignition tester and you plug it into your spark plug then to your plug wire coming from the power pack it's a test light and should light if you have spark

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

How much warm-up time are you giving the engine, and does it run OK once warmed up?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I give it about 5 minutes, then it works fine. it's just if i start running around the lake, then shut it off, i can't get it to start again. Could it just be bad plugs? I pulled them and they looked a little fouled, but I never had a 2 stroke before and don't know what to look for.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Now that's starting to sound like a sync. & link problem. All three carb's have to open, and fully close together. On your engine also, the carb's have to start to open at 7 degree's BTDC If these setting's are off, such as the carb linkage out of sync. starting can be difficult.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would that still mess up the idle? Also, would it still make it not want it to start after I run it and then shut it off?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Yes! it would certainly mess up the idle. I have been getting way ahead of myself, so here is another question. How fast is your engine cranking over when warm? it should be at least 350 RPM to fire up the magneto. Are your electrical connections all tight? If you have wing nut's on the battery, replace them with brass, or stainless nut's. You should have not less then 9.5 volts at the starter solinoid when cranking. Use at least a 750CCA battery. This trouble shooting by mail is not easy.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! It's a lot better than the book, especially when you never worked on an outboard before. Trucks are a different story. I'll check the starting system, and replace those wingnuts. Thanks for you help. I'll keep you posted!

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright,<br />R Johnson, here's the deal. I went out and checked it last nite, and the battery is 500 CCA. That might be the first problem. Second, I couldn't get it started, so I pulled the plugs, and all were fine except the top left cylinder. It never fired. It still looks brand new. I thought it could be the ignition coil, so I took an ohm meter to it, put it at Rx100 like the book said on the primary, and checked the high side. it was a little lower then the other 5, and they were all consistent. Did I test it right, or could I have a bad ignition coil?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, how could I check the sync & link? All the carbs work right, but how should I check that?

clanton

Rear Admiral

This engine has one power pack. Set your meter on AC scale 400 volts, red lead to primary side of coil, black lead to ground, check with engine at idle, X the results by 1.414. This will give you pack output voltage, all six should be close to same, if you have one or two low ones the pack is bad.