power loss

gary11756

Cadet
posted 09-01-2004 11:53 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Help I have a 1972 65hp and today it lost power. the same thing it would go about 5 mph with throttle open. it would try to go faster(trying to kick in)but never did.the carbs all had fuel to them. i have good compression.i have replaced the head gasket. water pump. coils,but still have the original power pack, about a year ago.<br />with the boat moving i tried to adjust the needle valve but it did seem to react.Should my first step be to rebuild the carbs?it sounded like it was running on 1 cylinder. can u get fuel to shoot through a jet if the cylinder isnt firing?

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: power loss

Did you check the fuel vent? A clog will make it do something like that.

gary11756

Cadet

i had the carbs rebuild . i going out tomorrow. i will check the vent but i pretty sure its ok.i had the same problem with my first 65 hp.there was water in the cylinders of that one.if it happens again tomorrow ill let you know its not the carbs or vent.

gary11756

Cadet

WHAT A DAY. THE CARBS didnt do it. the flywheel got so hot it starting to melt the stator. why i dont know.i made it back but have no idea how.<br />what would make the flywheel heat up and powerhead to stay so much cooler.do stators go bad or short out with that heat?also the lower unit went into the default forward gear and the oil i drained out was a tan color. i didnt see any water floating on top.are theses problem connected.