Power disconnect switch question

sodakdave

Cadet
Just had a quick question about wiring a power disconnect switch for my starter / electronics battery. I already have one on the trolling motor battery.

I have 2 fuse blocks. One at the front of the boat and one at the back. Each block is <15a total.

If I take the red from the battery, into a disconnect switch, then to a distribution block, run one to the front fuse block and one to the back fuse block. Should I leave the motor directly to the battery, or can I take that to the block on the backside of the disconnect switch as well. Would the stator still trickle some charge back into the battery?

Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
I would need a tad more info
What motor?

You talking about a battery disconnect or just a master switch to disconnect the fuse panels

sodakdave

Cadet
Battery disconnect. When I shut down to store over the week, or winter, would like to just flip a switch and kill any drain from the battery.

Motor is a 92 Merc 115.

alldodge

Staff member
I would suggest adding a batter disconnect between bat and starter, this would disconnect everything

That is assuming your boat is trailered and not slipped

sodakdave

Cadet
It is trailered. It's a 19' Sylvan fishing boat. Right now I have 3 connections to the starter battery. The motor (starter), and the two fuse blocks (VHF, finder, lights, bilge pump, livewell pumps). That kind of brings me back to the original question. Is there any issue with going from the battery to a disconnect switch, and then from there to a power distribution block that splits the output of the switch to the motor and the two fuse blocks, or do i need to separate the motor off of that distribution?

alldodge

Staff member
No problem, so long as the switch can handle to load